How to handle "Unconfirmed" QSO's

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by AC2MM, Mar 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Guys,
    I have 81 confirmed QSO's for my DXCC, but 28 "Unconfirmed".
    How do you guys normally handle this?

Do you email the ham and ask that he confirm it with QRZ or is there some other way to politely go about it.
    Some of these were really hard for me to get, I hate to lose them.

All my QSO's are automatically uploaded to QRZ, but that's undoubtedly not the norm.

Thanks,
    Robert

KD0QG likes this.
  2. AF6CO

AF6CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never had any luck sending them an email. I just keep trying until I get one that confirms.
    I try to upload to LOTW and QRZ at the end of each session. I try not to be the guy that doesn't confirm.
    Also I really enjoy getting QSL cards.

KD0QG likes this.
  3. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's best to bring clublog and lotw into the mix. Clublog and lotw can share information and you can import from lotw into qrz at any time. If you want the best chance at some of those dxcc's, then that's the best way.

4. AC2MM

OK, That makes sense, I'll give that a try.
    Most use LOTW, not all use QRZ.

Thanks.

5. AC2MM

You know, I took a look at a few of these.
    One guy from Belarus advertises LOTW, and I've had three QSO's from this guy, yet he hasn't logged one to either LOTW or QRZ in two years.
    I sent him an email.

A lot of them are from the difficult entities and islands, ones that are hard to get, and those all took place in January/February of this year.

Say what you want about HRD, but all my QSO's get logged automatically to LOTW and QRZ. Maybe these guys are using Post-Em notes, who knows...

It just kind of aggravates me, because when one of these difficult entities opens up, I, and a lot of others, are competing with all the "Big Guns" with an tower and a Yagi, and if we're lucky enough to have the QSO, we expect the other guy to get it registered with LOTW and QRZ, or at least LOTW so we can get credit for it. Means nothing in our Logbook if the other guy doesn't agree.

OTOH, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, these difficult entities probably recorded thousands of QSO's and it takes time to enter them ...maybe. But I don't understand this I guess. If I was going to set up a communication time in a difficult entity, knowing a lot of guys will be trying to add that to their logs, wouldn't you think they would pick a Logging program that automatically or semi-automatically sends their completed QSO's to LOTW and QRZ? I sure would. A lot of hams besides me are depending on this.

My Elmer's been doing this for 56 years, and he told me not to answer any QSO until you find out whether they upload to LOTW. If they don't, forget it. It takes more time, but with 28 unconfirmed, maybe I should take his advice.

The ones that don't register their QSO's are in the small minority, I realize. I'm having one of my moments, just ignore it, it'll pass...

BTW, would someone kindly explain what is meant by "Challenge" in the LOTW DXCC list?
    I have no idea what those call signs mean.

I'll see if I can find some instructions on importing the LOTW qso's. I see that there's a warning of some kind.

Thx,
    Robert

6. KG5THG

I took a look at your latest contacts in your log on qrz.com and one of them listed is EW8W from Belarus. He has three confirmed contacts with you on clublog on 80m. Same with PK7AA in St. Marrten on clublog for 40m. I didn't look at any others but a lot of international DX uses clublog. Some only use clublog. As far as import from lotw into qrz, just go to your logfile, click settings, and click download from lotw. It will ask you for your lotw password and off it goes. If you have never done it before, the first one may take a bit. If you are still missing some you want, signup for clublog. Go through their process to exchange QSO information (I do the exchange a couple of times per year), and download again from lotw.

Once setup, it becomes a few mouse clicks to update all the information every few months are so (or however often you like). You may be surprised how many you pick up.

If you look at my latest contacts in my logbook, you will see most have a star with a circle showing they came from a lotw import.

7. KG5THG

Well the more I look at clublog and the arrl "trusted partner" program, it appears that it doesn't really mean anything, so matching qsl's on clublog remain in clublog so you may or may not want to go though that part of the process. It's up to you. I use hrd so I already upload to both lotw and clublog for those that use either of them.

I would still do an import from lotw to get all the matches you can in qrz if you are interested in qrz awards. If qrz ever implements a clublog import of qsl's, then that would be different. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  8. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Big Gun or not, with respect to receiving confirmations, the playing field is generally level. The same hurdles existed in the days prior to the advent of electronic logging/confirmation systems; electronics has increased the speed of information exchange. It continues to be a challenge to work the system to your advantage.

9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Patience, grasshopper!

In these days of instant gratification, we lose track of what is important, to us, and to others.

OK, now that I've said that, let's look at how QSLing was done "back in the day".

QSLs from the USSR (remember them?) had to be confirmed with the archaic "Box 88 Moscow" system. Hard copy QSL cards only and it could take years (!) to get a confirmation from any Russian ham, and that usually included any of their vassal states. I have some old Russian cards that are hand made on rough cardboard, old cereal boxes and what ever they had at the time.

This was all done thru each countries QSL bureau because direct postage was expensive. The bureau, some times called the "Buro" because hams can't spell, also took time, sometimes years for even garden variety DX.

Then there were, and still are, QSL managers. You would work the DX then send your card and self-addressed-stamped-envelope (SASE) usually with a dollar (greenstamp) to cover miscellaneous expenses to the manager. He (or she) would then look you up in the DX's log and issue the QSL. This was faster than the "Buro" or Box 88, but more expensive.

Last, but not least was sending a QSL direct. First you had to look up the DX ham. Not an easy process, because no data base as we know it now existed. The usual way was to get a ham directory from the Buckmaster "Callbook"company or a CD from the good old folks at QRZ to look up the DX hams address. There was a distinct chance that any funds sent via mail would disappear in transit. Also, instead of cash we sometimes used an instrument called an IRC "International Reply Coupon". This thing supposedly pre-paid the international postage. what a pain to redeem or to get our post office to recognize! So, we did all the above, mailed off the QSL and waited... and waited... and waited...

So... Back to today and the instant gratification. The problem for you is just this: first not everyone uses the same methods that you do. Second: not everyone wants or needs an instant QSL. Third: Because of points one and two, you just need to develop some patience. I did not look you up, so I don't know how long you have been a ham, but trust me, it's only a hobby, not life-and-death here.

Right? Right!

73 Gary

W8LLW likes this.
  10. K3CGG

K3CGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should put this thread up. I was just going to start my own. Out of all my QSOs, I have received about 60 confirmations. I usually get about 1 out of 6 or 7 members to actually take the time to log a confirmation. You should be proud that you have such a high % rate. Kudos!!!

I have logged ALL of the continents, yet am still waiting for "unconfirmed" to be sorted out in Asia, Africa and Oceania. So even though I struggled making contact through all the QRM and QRN and whatever language barrier was present, I am the only one who knows I made the contact. The proof is not evident. Hence, I will have to wait alittle longer to get my Continents Award.

It's extremely frustrating but, there is no way to enforce a confirmation. After all, it is only a hobby.