ad: elecraft

How to Grow Ham Radio -- PART 4: Club Hospitality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Apr 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cal, this is a splendid idea.

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

2. W3TTT

W3TTT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good subject - great discussion. BTW EchoLink now has a "CQ" function. Call CQ on Echolink and it links you to someone else calling CQ.
    Every meeting should be a "New Member Welcome" night.

NJ4Z likes this.
  3. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We do a welcome for every guest at every meeting... but we hold quarterly meetings for all new members to go through all the benefits the club offers and to get them acquainted with the radio room and the clubhouse systems in general. So when they have been with us 6 months and have access to the facility 24X7 they will be familiar with all the rules, and systems.
    We just instituted a couple of new club activities. Every other month, we have a Saturday clubhouse day, where we do projects around the facility. Then after every other test session we are doing a mentoring session and open radio room session. De NJ4Z - YCARS Trustee

AA5BK likes this.
  5. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

You video's are get good and full of very useful info. I hope members of the 2 clubs in my area see this. Maybe they would welcome new members rather than just acting like they are not even there. Let a lone welcome you. That is what happens to me. So I do not belong to a club but I would like to.I have almost 50 years Electronics experience. 73 W3AMT

NJ4Z likes this.
  6. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent latest vid in an excellent series

WA9TDD and NJ4Z like this.
  7. KI4RBI

KI4RBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I have been fortunate to be in a position where I can share my love of the hobby with my students. I can't believe the response we have received from our students regarding our school club. The challenge for me has been developing a curriculum that engages students and holds their attention for longer than a few weeks. I am finding out it can be done, however it requires stepping outside my comfort zone to try new approaches.

WA9TDD likes this.
  8. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In some ways QRZ.com is a club. All it needs are scheduled Zoom meetings on some topic and viola!, it's like being there...sort of

NJ4Z likes this.
  9. NJ4Z

that could happen!!!

WA9TDD likes this.
  10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My brain is tired. I scanned the title and thought it said "Club Hostility".

NJ4Z likes this.
  11. NJ4Z

HAHAHA!!!

12. KE8MOW

KE8MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

When the 4-H starts to meet again I plan to talk to our club and see if any of the members want to start a Ham Radio 4-H club project. I am already a 4-H Leader for a shooting sports club project.

WA9TDD and NJ4Z like this.
  13. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

What I've found that usually works best to encourage new folks to get involved is this:

First of all, there are three kinds of people in a club (from what I've experienced.)

1. Leaders

2. Followers (usually, the new folks are in this category)

3. Complainers

Usually, people think the only leaders are those elected IAW the constitution/by laws. This is horribly wrong.

The elected leaders need to encourage the natural leaders in the club to lead in the projects they're interested in.

The elected leaders need to encourage the followers and the new folks to follow the leader that interests them and do everything they can to support the natural, currently un-elected leaders actively involved in a project and need to coach the followers as needed.

And finally, the elected leaders need to publicly humiliate the complainers (at meetings, not in the news letter).

At least that's what I've found to work best. But, for some reason, you're not supposed to laugh at complainers these days. Club hospitality to every one equally encourages the complainers more than the leaders and the followers.

WA9TDD, NJ4Z and K9VA like this.