How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WG7W

WG7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed nearly 9 years ago. I joined a couple clubs but wasn't really impressed, old guys that seemed stogy and clickish. Thankfully there were those in both clubs that were not. I settled on remaining a member of the Yavapai Amateur Radio Club.
    I decided that if I was going to be a member I needed to contribute by my activity. I made several suggestions one of which was a 10 M net to encourage the Techs to come to HF and maybe upgrade. The board asked me if I would be the NC. That was about 8 years ago. Shortly after that the club was looking for officers. I volunteered to be a board member and was elected. Once on the board more folks got to know me and that I would do the work.
    I had attended the Yuma Hamfest a couple of years and since there weren't any hamfests in late May or early June I suggested we have one. Not just a parking lot sale but a full blown fest with vendors and seminars. Another board member, Chuck KE7SA, stepped up to co-chair the first one and the Eagle ARC at Embry Riddle joined us in sponsoring the fest. Over the next 4 years we were designated the Arizona State Convention several times. The fest encouraged many members to activities related to the fest and increased their activity in club events.
    Two years ago I ran for the office of president. In those two years I had a fantastic board of officers. We accomplished many things even though we were throttled by covid restrictions. Public service events, the hamfest, field day, in person meetings were all canceled. Our board responded with many activities that provided our members and their friends to participate online with ZOOM meetings and more and better on air nets. These activities allowed most that wanted to ot participate. The nets continue to grow. We have at least three activity ZOOM meetings a month and our membership meetings and board meetings are held online. Our state is opening up and we are looking forward to face to face membership meetings once again.
    Our club repeaters have been linked. Echolink and Allstar modes have been added. Our equipment has been updated where needed and replaced in some cases. The availability over the repeaters to more members via more frequencies and modes has been giant. We have folks from all over checking in from time to time and all are welcome!
    We welcome new members to our meetings. We ask them to tell us about themselves, where they are from, what they want to do in ham radio and encourage other members with similar interests to talk with them. We also welcome any visitor to our meeting in much the same way. We have an Elmer group that assists members in establishing their stations. We have a mentor group that we assign a new member to a mentor who contacts and welcomes them to the club again. We also offer any assistance we can give them to setup and operate.
    We have over 300 members to our club. While not all are active all the time they know that when they join us they are valued and welcome. We value their opinions and activity. They keep coming back.
    I can not possibly give credit where credit is due to everyone in the club. I can only point to our website, www.w7yrc.org, and suggest you take a look.
    For those of you looking to a club of active friendly amateurs attend and move out of your comfort zone. Get up make contacts. concentrate on the officers. If the pres and board aren't to friendly you may not have the club you want, or maybe you do. Talk with other members that seem to be friendly. Volunteer! Your activity may make all the difference in the world...

NJ4Z, VE6CLG, KI4POT and 2 others like this.
  2. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, you have an amazing story, much like Steve and I with our club. Congratulations, on being one to step up and start to make changes. Well done sir, well done. You and your club are an example to the rest of us. Keep up the good wrok and once again congratulations. I look forward to one day visiting your hamfest and your club!

de NJ4Z

3. WG7W

WG7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks John. I'm sure that there are many more clubs and individuals with like stories. There are many great hams, Elmers and mentors in the hobby. YouTube has so many amateur radio channels produced by some awesome hams. I hope those that feel that they can't find a club or Elmer will do internet and YouTube searches and learn that yes there are folks that can and do help. The most important part is for them to get out of their comfort zone. The folks that come and sit in the back and are very quiet sometimes do not get noticed. Many clubs have greeters and they help out but the beginning or social period of the meetings can get very busy. If you are a new guy or gal, step up and let yourself be known. Don't be shy. There are very few strangers in ham radio but alot of friends you have yet to meet!
    If you get to Prescott AZ be sure to look us up.

73! de WG7W

KJ7RDV and NJ4Z like this.
  4. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Those responses you mention sound like they are coming from people who are very unsure of their own knowledge. Someone who does not offer to answer a question probably does not know the answer.

5. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a place to meet and then put an ad in the local paper about time. place, and date to learn about an exciting hobby which allows you to communicate with folks around the world, or something to that effect.

6. W7DGJ

W7DGJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We met at a local Starbucks, about 8-10 of us. There were present hams who haven't practiced lately, who moved here and haven't yet put up an antenna, and they were helpful with the newbie interest attendees. We had a lot of fun. Couple of demonstrations of equipment, lots of questions asked and answered and more. It was definitely worth doing!!

KI5AAI likes this.