ad: TinyPaddle-1

How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I am in Phoenix and active again after 40 years off the air and have yet to meet a Phoenix-area ham.... was interested in your comment.

I have been looking for local groups - might have run into the same one you did. An AZ DX group maybe 10 of us I joined for the 1st time on a zoom call. As with most groups they obviously knew each other very well and probably not used to strange names/faces/calls popping up on Zoom.

After maybe 30 minutes of not being recognized, in a lull, I got brave (I am a bit of an introvert) and jumped in saying something like "just wanted to say hi as I am just back on the air...." That did meet with a few nice comments but just like I have never done the bar scene, not really interested in sports talk or been very good at just shoot the breeze small talk rag chews. I do need to practice that more!

But back when I was active in the 60s/70s I was more into structured hamming, active in traffic nets, chasing counties, DX vs. social chit chat like so common it seems on 75m now, other than the nets.

Someone on this thread suggested at meetings just jump in and introduce yourself. However, some of us are more on the shy/reserved type. In my young days perhaps a bit lagging in social skills until we have something in common to talk about.

Back then I was very active with Minneapolis Radio Club meetings although more the quiet one. Seems they no longer exist or I would try and visit on trips back to my hometown.

Once we get this virus over I look forward to local groups that meet in person, although haven't found any yet in the Phoenix area. I just got an Anytone 858 to learn more about local hams once I can figure out/find code plugs and all this DMR stuff. And the DMR reaching globally with reflectors etc is of interest - not having to rely on our dear Sun to continue to wake up slowly for HF SSB glory days I enjoyed long ago. Learning about the starting of Cycle 25 got me interested in hamming again.

On Zoom it would seem to be easy to recognize a new face/name/call and invite them to introduce themselves which I would have no problem doing, rather than me trying not to feel I am barging in on a group.

2. W0JKT

Gee, I am also active on a Phoenix Next Door group (not the same as yours) and thought your idea was great. But then the then what since don't seem to have any active friendly area clubs - at least not found.

I liked the ideas others shared. We have lots of Summit activity I have found since we have lots of mountains but never been to any peaks and not sure how easy access is. The 2m/70cm activity seems to be mostly in the far SE areas of Mesa and further East, although I am kind of able to hear activity that is probably bouncing off 3 mountains around me (which is why I do HF SSB via remotes!) I would be transmitting into a large hill going direct to the Mesa area!

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nashua ARC does such a great job too and you would think the old farts at ARRL would see that your concepts are the way. They are not worth the support at ARRL so my donations will go to Nashua.

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7DGJ
    I had a further thought...
    Have some of your victims, I mean volunteers, participate by having one manage logging (paper logging would suffice) and another doing lookups on QRZ (so they can see where chasers are located and the distances). As a control operator, you could even have them take turns calling CQ and interacting with the other stations. Make the event interactive. POTA chasers tend to be a bit willing to interact with activators, so work into your CQ calling that you're doing an outreach program and would welcome some back and forth conversation between themselves and the participants on your end. Don't just make it "here's my radio, watch me call CQ and exchange signal reports". Use POTA to lure them in, but also encourage discussion.

Chris

WA9TDD, W0JKT, KM1NDY and 2 others like this.
  5. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Chris. That's a great set of suggestions. For me personally, I'm not really an extended rag chewer, but not the kind of person who gets a thrill out of a signal report exchange and a QRZ. So I'll work some conversation into it as well. And, get them involved as you said!

NJ4Z likes this.
  6. W7DGJ

Hey W0JKT - Let's talk or meet up someday and maybe get a few of these newbies or "possible interest" folks out into a local park and show them why this is fun! Dave, W7DGJ, 928-274-2266

W0JKT and NJ4Z like this.
  7. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi: I have had a lot of success and fun bringing people together for group POTAs/SOTAs. I try to run it like a Field Day GOTA, acting as control operator with non-hams using my call and being coached by me (or other hams). I like to keep the atmosphere light and pressure-free ("drop in if/when you can, no need to know anything about radio or have any equipment. I'll be there anyway." Or, otherwise encourage other hams to bring their own equipment to test portable. I do have a set of band pass filters so we can have a few stations going at once without interference.

POTA/SOTA are such great programs. They allow for any day you want to be a field day, or a field day light.

My thoughts...have fun!

Mindy

WA9TDD and NJ4Z like this.
  8. W7DGJ

KM1NDY likes this.
  9. W0JKT

Dave-
    Sounds good would love to meet, although prefer to wait until a few weeks after my 2nd vaccine shot in early April etc... Like all the idea here but will take time to organize etc.

In addition to the POTA as we are going to be getting into the hot Summer for folks like me that like staying in air conditioning... but am open to all ... Thinking of a laptop presentation that could be fast-moving but combine the various levels of ham radio from POTA/SOTA, 2m for the Novice wanting to do more than CW, including long-distance DMR, and maybe one of us operating DX showing what can be done as we move up the license and rig scale.

We could use some existing Ytube stuff I assume legal. There is a very dynamic young gal that does POTA in Wisconsin that does some great videos for the younger youth - if we can find them, not sure where young folks hang out these days. I don't know any but not there are quite a few SOTA folks I have seen videos on (and post here) from Phoenix. I could probably tape myself making DX contacts from remote superstations. Or, with you are someone else.

While POTA on-site good idea if folks will come out, a more portable demonstration of hamming on a laptop that could be shown to smaller groups or individuals might be helpful. I bet there are folks that have done that, but if working with Phoenix area folks would be nice to have with Phoenix people presenting. If put together a good presentation might get into private schools or radio clubs (thnk ASU has one but not very active?)

The Phoenix next door groups is a good cross-section but probably more middle-aged which is also a good target market. I am not active on any other Phoenix groups. Am well known on some Canadian groups since I visit each summer (when can) but that doesn't help in Phoenix!

Perhaps other Phoenix hams with contacts/ideas may see this and come out, come out from wherever you are.
    Another Dave 602-955-0767

BTW I changed my legal name from David to Dave in my 20s. Judge asked if I was trying to deceive anyone! Something about my mother yelling "DAVID" often motivated me to change my name :(

10. W3PAL

W3PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a member of the YCARS ham radio club. The guys in the video (John, NJ4Z and Steve, W3SPS) have been instrumental in completely turning the club around and making it grow tremendously. Prior to that we only had an old crappy TS-940 in the club. Now we have several modern HF and VHF/UHF radios and will be refurbishing the existing towers and installing new beam antennas very soon. We also acquired lots of new members in the last several years. None of this would have happened without John and Steve and many other mambers. Big credit to them.
    We never ignore new members and always try to provide as much support as possible. The virus have put a monkey wrench into just about everything in our lives. We couldn't hold face to face club meetings anymore but things are changing for the best and restrictions are being slowly removed. This didn't didn't hold us back as much as we expected. We were able to hold online meetings.
    Also, prior to the virus, we had "Get On The Air" meetings at the club, where new members could learn to operate the radios and to make new contacts. It was a very successful program!
    You know I've lived in several states prior to South Carolina and have traveled around the country a lot. I have never been to an area more active with ham radio activities than the Upstate South Carolina. The repeaters are very active and there are many clubs and other activities happening all the time. People are very friendly here and always willing to help.
    73! de W3PAL.

NJ4Z and WA9TDD like this.
  11. WG7W

WG7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was licensed nearly 9 years ago. I joined a couple clubs but wasn't really impressed, old guys that seemed stogy and clickish. Thankfully there were those in both clubs that were not. I settled on remaining a member of the Yavapai Amateur Radio Club.
    I decided that if I was going to be a member I needed to contribute by my activity. I made several suggestions one of which was a 10 M net to encourage the Techs to come to HF and maybe upgrade. The board asked me if I would be the NC. That was about 8 years ago. Shortly after that the club was looking for officers. I volunteered to be a board member and was elected. Once on the board more folks got to know me and that I would do the work.
    I had attended the Yuma Hamfest a couple of years and since there weren't any hamfests in late May or early June I suggested we have one. Not just a parking lot sale but a full blown fest with vendors and seminars. Another board member, Chuck KE7SA, stepped up to co-chair the first one and the Eagle ARC at Embry Riddle joined us in sponsoring the fest. Over the next 4 years we were designated the Arizona State Convention several times. The fest encouraged many members to activities related to the fest and increased their activity in club events.
    Two years ago I ran for the office of president. In those two years I had a fantastic board of officers. We accomplished many things even though we were throttled by covid restrictions. Public service events, the hamfest, field day, in person meetings were all canceled. Our board responded with many activities that provided our members and their friends to participate online with ZOOM meetings and more and better on air nets. These activities allowed most that wanted to ot participate. The nets continue to grow. We have at least three activity ZOOM meetings a month and our membership meetings and board meetings are held online. Our state is opening up and we are looking forward to face to face membership meetings once again.
    Our club repeaters have been linked. Echolink and Allstar modes have been added. Our equipment has been updated where needed and replaced in some cases. The availability over the repeaters to more members via more frequencies and modes has been giant. We have folks from all over checking in from time to time and all are welcome!
    We welcome new members to our meetings. We ask them to tell us about themselves, where they are from, what they want to do in ham radio and encourage other members with similar interests to talk with them. We also welcome any visitor to our meeting in much the same way. We have an Elmer group that assists members in establishing their stations. We have a mentor group that we assign a new member to a mentor who contacts and welcomes them to the club again. We also offer any assistance we can give them to setup and operate.
    We have over 300 members to our club. While not all are active all the time they know that when they join us they are valued and welcome. We value their opinions and activity. They keep coming back.
    I can not possibly give credit where credit is due to everyone in the club. I can only point to our website, www.w7yrc.org, and suggest you take a look.
    For those of you looking to a club of active friendly amateurs attend and move out of your comfort zone. Get up make contacts. concentrate on the officers. If the pres and board aren't to friendly you may not have the club you want, or maybe you do. Talk with other members that seem to be friendly. Volunteer! Your activity may make all the difference in the world...

NJ4Z, VE6CLG, KI4POT and 2 others like this.
  12. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, you have an amazing story, much like Steve and I with our club. Congratulations, on being one to step up and start to make changes. Well done sir, well done. You and your club are an example to the rest of us. Keep up the good wrok and once again congratulations. I look forward to one day visiting your hamfest and your club!

de NJ4Z

13. WG7W

WG7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks John. I'm sure that there are many more clubs and individuals with like stories. There are many great hams, Elmers and mentors in the hobby. YouTube has so many amateur radio channels produced by some awesome hams. I hope those that feel that they can't find a club or Elmer will do internet and YouTube searches and learn that yes there are folks that can and do help. The most important part is for them to get out of their comfort zone. The folks that come and sit in the back and are very quiet sometimes do not get noticed. Many clubs have greeters and they help out but the beginning or social period of the meetings can get very busy. If you are a new guy or gal, step up and let yourself be known. Don't be shy. There are very few strangers in ham radio but alot of friends you have yet to meet!
    If you get to Prescott AZ be sure to look us up.

73! de WG7W

KJ7RDV and NJ4Z like this.
  14. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Those responses you mention sound like they are coming from people who are very unsure of their own knowledge. Someone who does not offer to answer a question probably does not know the answer.

15. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a place to meet and then put an ad in the local paper about time. place, and date to learn about an exciting hobby which allows you to communicate with folks around the world, or something to that effect.