How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

When you do something you should try to do it as best you can and as professionally as possible even if its a hobby. I try not to promote or encourage this race to the bottom so many of you like to.

KR3DX likes this.
  2. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We all enjoy the hobby, they way we enjoy the hobby. We should strive to be the best we can, and help others become the best they can. That said, it is called Amateur Radio for a reason, it is for enjoyment. Agreed that if you take on the mantle of ARES, RACES, MARS and/or AUXCOMM you need to be at a high level, lives may depend on what you are doing. I love the interaction here, de Nj4Z

WA9TDD likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I received a card in the mail which offered a free first-year for a local ARC. Being that we're in a pandemic, I could only visit with them for their Zoom club meetings. But I'll tell you, it was very strange to me how a person can attend that meeting and be a "stranger" in the Zoom audience, with camera on and mic operational, and never even be asked "Who are you? Tell us about yourself" . . . No welcoming message, no communication directed to new members or prospective members and so on, for two consecutive meetings I attended. Plus, I'm a VE and had offered my services to the organization. Still, no welcome, no comments . . . nothing. An "Old Boys Club" where I was clearly not welcome. On the other hand, there's another ARC a long drive (40 min) away from me that appears welcoming and friendly. I can tell you which one I'll be joining when in-person meetings come back!!

W0JKT and NJ4Z like this.
  4. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sorry that happened to you, Dave. Part of it is just a lot of introverts. In the next couple videos we are going to address the ways we can rise above this. Stay tuned.

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's encouraging a race to the bottom? How about not freaking out on people new to the hobby when they make a mistake or ask a question? Or act disparaging and try to run them off? How about a little understanding and patience for people who are at least showing some interest in a hobby that most people thought was already dead?

I'm quoting from another thread because it perfectly illustrates the challenge by assholes who think "big boy rules" give them a license to treat others poorly. That's not how "big boy rules" work and people who claim otherwise are hiding their own deficiencies:

Chris

KK4NSF and KN6NWZ like this.
  6. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL. Getting yelled at might work for some people. I would laugh inside when the Drill Sergeants would yell and scream at us. An intelligent person knew there was no threat from them. Weak people were the ones who responded to yelling, either in a positive way or a negative way.

I somehow managed to lead people in peace and war without having to yell at them in anger or for discipline. My soldiers knew that when I said something it had to get done. If I told them they might find themselves in hot water and I would recommend to the commander about UCMJ action, they knew I was serious. That seemed to work better than mindlessly yelling at someone. BTW: my soldiers had the highest GT scores and were pretty intelligent folks. Yelling at them would do squat.

I also jumped out of planes for several decades now and have flown as a crewmember and pilot (civ life). I fail to see how having an instructor yelling at someone would be productive. Just my take on things.

And as they say YMMV

One can be stern, a great teacher without sounding like an idiot that needs to yell and abuse people. Then again, many in society might need that. :)

WA9TDD likes this.
  7. W7DGJ

W7DGJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a post I put up on NextDoor, a social media site very popular in my area. Headline was "Best Hobby in the World"

The most wonderful hobby in the world - Amateur Radio. I rediscovered a hobby that I had as a boy. When I was 15 years old, I volunteered for a merit badge to work in the Veteran's Hospital. They gave me the job of working with a couple of paraplegic vets (Korean War) who were Ham Radio operators, and they had their "ham shack" set up in a vacant room at the hospital. I got to know these vets real well, and even though they could only move one hand, they got to make friends all over the world through their hobby. I picked it up from them and they guided me through the training necessary to get my license. Soon I had my own equipment and radio room in my house, reaching people in over 60 countries at the time. It was a blast. But then girls. cars, and college came, and I lost that interest until just recently picking it up again during the pandemic.

I can't even describe how cool this hobby is. Through my little station in our home, I'm able to contact friends all over the world, directly. This has nothing to do with the Internet or with any kind of infrastructure at all. It's my radio, my antenna, and the antenna on the other side of the world that picks up my station. It's a hobby that has a wonderful benefit of helping the community when tragedy strikes or when infrastructure goes down, and we can train for that. Within the one hobby, there are a dozen side-channels that each have the total and complete passion of those who participate in them. There's "Contesting" as one example, where Hams pit themselves and their clubs against other clubs or individual stations around the globe in intense periods of activity to see who scores the most connections. It's fun!

There are younger hams who love to practice SOTA, which means "Summits on the Air" and they are out combining radio with hiking. They set up small stations in parks and summits all around the State and then communicate from there. Our national organization sponsors field days, where everyone even the old-timers gets outdoors with their equipment and conducts safety and community exercises and contests. In addition, the hobby has people who are combining radio with digital electronics and communicating through their computers in conjunction with their radios. It's a fascinating spin-off of traditional ham radio, and guaranteed to keep them hopping with all the new computer/radio equipment, software and technology. Some are talking to the Space Station, or bouncing signals off the moon, or relaying their signals through orbiting satellites!

In short, this hobby is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. If you are potentially interesting in learning about amateur radio and you need a sounding board, message me and I'll help you out. You'll find the community of ham radio operators, men and women as well, to be the most welcoming and friendly crowd of people in the world. Tied together by their passion for a hobby that brings you out of your home, connecting to the globe by the sheer force of radio waves bouncing off the atmosphere. We are having a blast!

N1IPU, WA9TDD and KI4POT like this.
  8. W3SPC

W3SPC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic comment, and you really hit the nail on the head.

Your points will be highlighted in a future episode, but it is exactly why, this year, once I became president of YCARS, I immediately formed a WHI committee. WHI is "Wellness, Happiness, and Inclusion." Inclusion is what the committee focuses on most. It's a mindshift from the traditional "ham radio is an old white man's hobby.", but one that's essential to see this hobby survive for the next generation to enjoy.

KN6NWZ and WA9TDD like this.
  9. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's amazing! Your efforts are appreciated!

NJ4Z likes this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I stayed in a Holiday inn express last night.

NJ4Z likes this.