How to Grow Ham Radio -- Part 2: Attitude

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you sir, It works for me. Be at the park, supermarket or whatever I usually get a questioner every so often. I ask them for an email and send them a bunch of links to start. Mostly prepper's these days, especially at the range. I tend to see them buy Chinese radios so have programmed a few for them. Don't care where they start as long as they start.

K4MID and NJ4Z like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like I said above the most serious guys I find come from the prepper community. They tend to be serious as interested in emergency comms. I do agree though your experience parallels mine.

NJ4Z likes this.
  3. VE6CLG

VE6CLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a new operator, thanks for this video, I found it interesting.
    My club experience is just beginning, as a new member of Northern Alberta Radio Club (NARC). I haven’t had the opportunity to go to a meeting or a for coffee, and starting on HF, haven’t joined local VHF/UHF nets run by the club, so we’ll see. My first event may be my last, or the start of a long set of friendships.
    That said, this conversation is not specific to ham radio, but applies to clubs of any kind in general. As a golfer, I can tell you you will hear many of the same issues when it comes to growing the hobby and the joining a golf club. Is it going to be a cliquey bunch of old farts sitting around bitching about the 10th green and female players, or a fun, welcoming bunch? You might find people that think you have no business on the course before 10 AM if you can’t hit a 250 yard cut stinger on command. Hopefully you find a group that says “we’re heading out, join us”.?

[/QUOTE]

K4MID, NJ4Z, K8QS and 1 other person like this.
  4. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]

Great points, Cal. We are talking about human nature, not just ham radio. But as we will unpack in a few follow-up videos, when the "positive persons" decide to get together and make positive things happen, the negative folks for the most part will eventually tag along.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

K1LKP likes this.
  5. WA9TDD

WA9TDD Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]
    Cal, best of luck with NARC or finding another club that is inviting and helpful, they ARE out there. If all else fails, if you find other local hams that are of a welcoming nature, create your own circle of friends. Quin and I as novices had the good fortune of connecting with other local hams and created our own group with our own nightly 10 meter net and had at least one night a month fellowship meeting in somebodies ham shack. Others will follow if you create the group or club that you want to become. 73, Tom

6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Coconut butter.

NJ4Z likes this.
  7. W4HM

This post sounds pretty negative to me.:D

8. W4HM

I joined a local club twice in the past 26 years and had the same negative experience each time.

I did join a QRP club in Denver, CO in 1994 and it was all good. Really knowledgeable nice people.

9. KC7MAW

KC7MAW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Embrace what is already happening.

I recently returned to the hobby after taking 19 years off. What I see is a hobby that has made adjustments and is continuing to adjust. One of biggest obstacles to on-air enjoyment for your modern day ham is the Noise Floor and Antenna Restrictions. POTA, SOTA, and Digital Modes are amazing developments for the new modern day ham. Recognize that for most, a 50 foot tower on the property is not even in the realm of possibilities. Your State and Local Community planning departments pursue policy that further increases urban density. This has been going on for 30 plus years and there is no end in sight. The hobby is adjusting, embrace it and if you can't embrace it, then at the very least don't go out of your way to denigrate it.

N1VAU, K4MID, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! Thank you for shining a light on how important it is to be inclusive in the hobby. Honestly, there’s a lot of etiquette involved in ham radio and that can be extremely intimidating. I think giving newbies some grace and gentle education when you encounter them on the air goes a long way.

I also find that the ornery attitude sometimes encountered in online ham radio groups really deters newbies and I think one of the reasons we see this behavior is because people want to show their knowledge and some do so with a high and mighty attitude that comes off as derision. It’s honestly more helpful to communicate knowledge in a kind way because not only does it help newbies, it’s better for the community at large.

There are groups that really focus on the inclusivity piece, Ham Radio Crash Course FB group being one of them, addressing rude behavior and clearly identifying that gate keeping and condescension is not tolerated. After all, we all start somewhere and not everyone has an Elmer to help give them guidance and confidence when they first get on the air.

K6VOX, N1VAU, W0JKT and 6 others like this.