ad: ProAudio-1

How to Grow Ham Radio Part 1

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom (WA9TDD) interviews communication expert Quin (K8QS) about how we can grow Amateur Radio. Please join the discussion after listening to Quin's challenging observations about how we can get more people actively involved in amateur radio. A "Ham Radio Perspectives" video.

Attached Files:

AA5BK, K0UO, KS4TD and 4 others like this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just add water & make a comment & watch it grow.

M1WML, N9AMI and WA9TDD like this.
  3. K8QS

KD5BVX, M1WML and WA9TDD like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me most of the recent new hams came from preparedness past couple of decades. They fell the need to be able to communicate in emergencies so they learn. Other than that educators can expand the hobby by introducing it in schools. The Nashua Radio society seems to do it best in my view with their outreach though I am sure there are others I don't know about. Getting school based clubs or inviting schools into your club would be the smartest way to go about that.
    It's not really that difficult, just need people who actually care. We should throw our support in that direction I think. Getting young ones into the sciences is never a bad thing.

AA5BK, KS4TD, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8QS

Thanks, Mark. This is tough to do right now in the USA, at least. In some areas there are even shortages of science teachers. Baffling.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

M1WML likes this.
  6. N1IPU

Well we have allowed clown world to take over. Emotional leads over rational. It will come back around once most see it leads nowhere. Fear is a powerful tool for those who seek to control us but no matter how good their plans are it will backfire. Always does.

KR3DX, K4EIA, PY2NEA and 4 others like this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People who advocate for growth in the hobby continue to overlook a technical field that's in dire need of practical, hands-on experience. Radio broadcast engineering. Most commercial stations these days are IP-based, but workers who are good at IP seldom also have RF experience. That's where hobbyists such as ourselves could rise and leverage our skills. The Society of Broadcast Engineers is represented by attorney Chris Imlay, the former counsel of the ARRL. And some of the technical unions have continuing education in which the experience gained in our hobby could easily translate to field and RF workers.

KS4TD, M1WML, WA9TDD and 1 other person like this.
  8. K0ADL

K0ADL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This video is spot-on! I started watching this with the expectation that it'd be another of the constant drum-beat advocating the idea that you can get kids involved in ham radio. It was refreshing to realize that it wasn't that at all. While there isn't anything wrong with getting kids involved, let's face it -- ham radio isn't an inexpensive hobby if you do much beyond a $50 2m hand-held radio. While 2m is fine for what it is, I think the REAL magic of ham radio is HF communications . . . and suddenly the cost jumps to at least $1000 for a basic HF station. That's a tough sell for a ten year old, or their parents! I agree -- attract 30 - 50 year-olds! They can actually afford they flavor of ham radio that is fun. Talking to someone across town, or a few towns over on an HT isn't that fun for most people.

I hope someone from the ARRL watches this video and reads my post. Trust me -- target middle-aged males and really PUSH high-frequency communications (or moon-bounce, or satellites, or nearly ANY type of ham radio other than using an HT with a repeater)! Stop kidding yourselves that you are going to grow (or preserve) the hobby with kids. Politically incorrect attitude? Maybe. Realistic? You bet!

VU3DRU, KS4TD, SE3X and 6 others like this.
  9. WA9TDD

WA9TDD Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, that is a spot on assessment. I had my broadcast engineer license back in the 70's with most of my knowledge developed from being a ham radio hobbyist. I ended up being chief engineer at 2 local FM stations. Ultimately, I chose not to follow that career path, but it was ham radio that got my foot in the door, and for that I thank the many mentors that taught me to keep my fingers out of the RF stages :cool:.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Go on the cb band once in a while, talk to the guys about making great dx contacts and all the other cool things. culled 3 ops locally

KC1KZB and M1WML like this.
  11. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

IDK, maybe not charge damn near what you would pay for a BRAND NEW radio on 40+ year old radios that may or may not work, and not have the capabilities of the brand new radios, but those are the ONLY radios the average new ham can afford??

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  12. VK3FUR

VK3FUR Ham Member QRZ Page

"....men like to talk about things and women like to talk about people and relationships..." is not the reason women and youth are not in amateur radio. It's videos like this.

M1WML and AC3GH like this.
  13. K8QS

The scholarly literature supports what I said. This is partly why women tend to go into so-called "caring" professions and men tend to go into technical fields. Interestingly, some of the best research on this has been done by feminist scholars, who conclude that women are indeed more relational than men. How much of this is nature vs. nurture is not entirely clear, but it is a consideration with respect to recruiting women into all technical fields and hobbies.

KR3DX and M1WML like this.
  14. N1IPU

Always took issue with that myself.

KE8NFK and M1WML like this.
  15. VK3FUR

VK3FUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Except this isn't the case. I can point too many studies that show otherwise. Even if this was true (which it isn't) wouldn't amateur radio be great for those that want to chat all day? Based on the conversations I've heard on the air, I'd be under the impression men are the ones that prefer talking about relationships rather than "things"

I've received so many emails and comments along the lines of "I gave up with amateur radio because of":
    - the way people talk on the repeater
    - I was treated poorly in clubs
    - no one took me seriously
    - I was made fun of
    - I don't want to be involved in a group that treats others like that
    - I was sick of listening to defamatory chat

Even if your goal is to attract more old white men into the hobby, many don't want to join what has become a fairly misogynistic, racist platform. By making ham radio more welcoming and more accepting, more people will join and be active in the community. There are tons of really clever smart people in radio that don't want to even be associated with this community and we need to change that.

Here's how I think we can actually grow ham radio:
    1. Shut up
    - Got a joke that's slightly sexist, racist or defamatory? don't say it. If you can't explain why it's funny to a 5 year old, then don't say it.
    - Don't support those that do. Tell them to stop
    - Stop using terms like young lady or old men. We are excluding huge amounts of people from joining the hobby from this one thing!
    2. Remove toxic members from the community
    - It only takes one member of your club to be making awkward jokes, or otherwise making someone feel uncomfortable to completely stop an entire group of people partaking in the hobby.
    - Implement code of conducts and enforce them.
    3. Give everyone fair representation.
    - When was the last time a woman talked at your club. Your goal should be 50%
    - When was the last time a person of colour talked at your club
    - When was the last time a person who identifies as LGBTQI talked at your club
    - When was the last time a person under 20...
    4. Remove barriers and gatekeeping
    - Stop with the "FT8 isn't real radio"
    - Try to make radio easier to get into for those with a disability, low/no income, those without a home

Radio is a hobby anyone and everyone.

KY4FN, KF5THB, KE8NFK and 2 others like this.