How to ground my G5RV

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD9NSL, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew you would show up.

Tell us mr, what is the breakdown voltage of the connector on the coax/balun transition of the op's system, and what is the breakdown voltage of a "surge supressor"

The voltages you have actually measured please.

And how about that "balun", what do you suppose a ohm meter might read if connected across it?

For extra credit, how about a copy of the insurance rider that the op should have, when in the unlikely event of a direct hit his antenna vaporizes and rig is ruined?

The endless shilling to sell useless crap gets old.

Rege

P.S. you did read where the op plans to connect to his "house ground"? What could that possibly be.....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Butt key :)

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you really that stupid? Or do you knowingly tell people to break the law and ignore minimum safety requirements.

Which is it? Are you stupid or trying to get people hurt?

It can only be one or the other...

4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Answer the questions sir.

Rege

While you are at it, got a list of those "antenna discharge unit or other suitable means"?

Just EXACTLY what "breakdown voltage" and physical appearance is "the law"?

5. KD9NSL

KD9NSL Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KD9NSL

KD9NSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, This sounds doable and practical. What kind of metallic plate do you use? Copper? Dx enginnering and other vendors sell the copper ones and they are pretty expensive. Any other alternatives?

7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

In previous installs I used an old 19" alum rack panel (abt 1/8" thick). Nowadays, the building that my ham shack is in is made of steel (aircraft hangar). I happen to own a Greenlee punch that makes a perfect hole for the threaded coax bushing. I have seen those threaded coax bushings up to 8 inches long so they can go all the way through the outside wall of a house.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Your first post is as good as it gets.

Every connector is one more point that can fail.

Rege

9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wasn't there an Exeption noted for that section, for coax cable ?

From the Mike Holt Forum:

i.e. coax cable ? ??

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RH:

It is NFPA NEC Section 810.55 that references grounding the shield of the coaxial cable. This is on page 686 of the document and is available at the following URL:

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

In my opinion, the main thing that arrestors do is to get the coaxial cable shield grounded. For a very inexpensive DIY method, that definitely meets the requirements of NFPA NEC 810.55, what I described in post #6 in this thread, complies with the requirements.

Placing a non-inductive resistor, between the center conductor and the coaxial cable shield, is an effective method of draining off static electricity (caused by the Van der Graff effect of wind, rain, snow, etc.) and also is reasonably effective in handling nearby lightning strike voltages induced into the antenna system. This can be accomplished by various methods that are also considerably less expensive than purchasing commercial arrestors. A "T" can be used and the resistor can be installed in a male (PL-259, etc.) or across a female (SO-239, etc.) and attached to the appropriate side of the "T".

arreastor-1.JPG

Yes, commercial arrestors are very "handy" to use and are more pleasing to the eye than the DIY methods. However, especially for the amateur radio operator with multiple coaxial cables from various antennas coming into the building, the cost of arrestors can be substantial. That is why the DIY method is attractive to many.

Of course, if the antenna takes a direct strike, it doesn't matter if the arrestor is commercially manufactured or if it is DIY. Either one is almost certainly going to be destroyed!

Glen, K9STH

KD9NSL likes this.