How to get vanity call ?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by N8MLP, Feb 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I do care to much about the prefix but I would like to get my initials. So I guess that would be a 2x3? Do the prefixes mean anything? N W K?

Looking for general help on how to do this. Thanks gang.

2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a General Class operator, you have access to Group C (1x3) and Group D (2x3) call signs.

While the web site that AF7XT provided is good, there are several others. For example, the is Radio QTH.

Note that Vanity licenses are not free and you can apply directly through the FCC web site. However, you might want to wait for 30 days and give the FCC a chance to get their act together, after the shutdown.

4. N8MLP

Or get it in before they shut down again...lol.

Is there any meaning with K,N,W prefix?

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not anymore. Once upon a time, K call signs were East of the Mississippi River, W calls to the West. "N" calls were MARS stations. WN or KN stations would have been Novice call signs, although the KN for Novices ended at the end of 1964.

But nothing in a call sign means anything anymore, other than only Extra class calls can start with an "A" or be a 1x2 format. The numbers long ago stopped representing your "call district" - a construct that only exists because the ARRL and others keep up the tradition.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI - Times change. The Vanity Fee has been eliminated. There is no longer any cost associated with obtaining or renewing a Vanity Call.

7. AB3TQ

Looking at the 30 possible 1x3 MLP calls with K. W or N prefixes, these are the 13 available.
    K2MLP - K3MLP - K6MLP - K0MLP
    W1MLP - W2MLP - W3MLP - W5MLP - W0MLP
    N3MLP - N6MLP - N8MLP - N9MLP

If none of those are to your liking, there must be quite a few 2x3 MLP calls available.

Check the ULS to see which are available.

There is no reason to wait to apply. In the best case scenario (no new shutdown), you would have your call in 18 to 21 days after applying. If there is another shutdown, your application would be on file. You would get it eventually.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are absolutely right. I am not sure how that "not" wormed its way into the post. I think I was in a hurry, because dinner was ready. When I'm in a hurry, I often type without paying attention to it. Sometimes extra words sneak into the typing. I usually re-read everything before I post, but I guess I didn't.

When I obtained my vanity call sign, the call sign cost was $18. The renewals also cost $18. But now it's all free.

There are some web sites, like W5YI-VEC, that will file your application. But they will charge a fee ($29.95) for their trouble. Do it yourself, for free, on the FCC web site.

9. N8MLP

Thanks for compiling that list for me! So I am not obligated to use my district number (8) ?

10. AB3TQ

No, you are not. I guess the reasoning is that since it is so easy to look up callsigns now, there is no reason not to allow you to use any regional number you want (as long as the combination is not geographically restricted).

Not everyone is happy with that freedom to choose outside your area, but you are the one who gets to decide what available call you like best.