How to get to setup?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Sep 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ihave a new "DULL" I-7 computer> It ONLY came with a "quick setup" sheet, and NO other documentation! I at least need to get into the setup screens to set some parameters. All I get from Dell is a "leave a message and we'll call you back," but after a week, NADA.
    Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance.

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Been a while since I've used a Dell, but I recall the trick being holding down F2 after power-up until it takes you to BIOS land. That was on a UEFI box, but even so maybe Dell changed it.

Documentation and drivers should be at support.dell.com. You enter the service tag or serial number and they take you to everything relevant.

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, everything is online these days. I don't miss the inch thick printed paper user guides.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If a F key don't work, Try the DEL key. Short for DELL.

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? You are seriously starting to disappoint me these days as I was expecting a "get a Mac" outta you.

Sheesh. Just when you think you know a guy...

+1 on the DEL too.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I do--I'm old school and even though I've been working on/with computers for over 40 years, I still prefer a paper User Guide.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the ones that are in English only.

That "Dull" Dell most likely has a link to a local or online manual.

Start > Help and Support

K9ASE likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

Thanks. The "F2" key worked at boot-up. I will see if there is an "advanced" system option. I WAS able to finally allow the USB KB or moose [sic] to "wake up" the kumpewtur, rather than just the "power" switch.

9. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

F12 on my Dells

10. WA9SVD

There may well be multiple keys that trigger the "POST. But this "kumpewtur" STILL has to go back to Dell, because of the nagging intermittent and random "black out" that lasts several seconds. Sometimes shortly after boot-up, sometimes after a few hours; and sometimes just once, and sometimes 2-3 times in a 10 minute span. Not MY belief for a top level i7!