ad: AbAuRe-1

How to get an alert when somebody important is on the air - HamAlert

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

FUD Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

Spread by Politicians and hucksters everywhere

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m late to the party, but HamAlert seems to be good tool to have if one is looking for a specific call. If wildcards are allowed then it’s great since you could set a call prefix for a country or countries. I thank KM9G for making me aware of it.

As for all the negative comments regarding the medium-

IMO the best way to avoid wasting too much time on informational YouTube videos is to watch with part of one eye and half an ear while doing something mindless like washing the dishes (which is what I did). I perk up and pay attention when something important to me is shown, which in this case was the first two minutes and the last 30 seconds.

As for the monetary aspect, let’s be realistic. It’s what motivates many people to produce these and we would have fewer of them without it. It’s revenue from advertising, a necessary evil to bring us content without us paying for it.

KM9G likes this.
  3. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want to be important. I am just passing through.

"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

"The life of mortals is like grass,

they flourish like a flower of the field;

the wind blows over it and it is gone,

and its place remembers it no more."

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly... If it weren't for ads, there would be no yootoob, Fookbase, Twitster, Likipedia, QRZ... heck... the whole internet. I mean seriously... who would actually pay to subscribe to all this nonsense?

KM9G likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

If the content is worthy, people will pay...and worthy is subjective.

KM9G and F8WBD like this.
  6. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not against HamAlert. From my foxhole, however, if I waited to get notified of specific calls getting on the air, I would miss out on countless others I would have otherwise been able to make. I have many DX entities I wouldn't otherwise have because I was just spinning the dial.

For me, there is something special about spinning the dial and listening. Contacts feel less "forced" or otherwise enabled. They feel organic. That's just me, though. To each their own.

KI7HSB, HL5ZEE and KM9G like this.
  7. F8WBD

F8WBD Guest

I wouldn't say death to UT. Most of the music I appreciate, classical and jazz, I find on UT. Also good B Poverty Row movies. But, that is a small percentage of UT offerings. The rest...ugh. And, begone "Influencers"

WN1MB likes this.
  8. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I understand.. thanks guys....

9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, I will let you know when I am on the air.
    But really are any of us that important, that we feel we are any better then the next person, where we need to classify our selves?

K0UO and WN1MB like this.
  10. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

oh my God no one can say anything without some else being butt hurt

KI7HSB likes this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you read it before it was removed?

12. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thou doth protest too much.

W5CJA likes this.
  13. AA1PR

Brevity is the soul of wit

14. AA1PR

No, again who cares what was said
    isnt some one entitled to their opinion?
    as long as no threats or harm was done what is the problem according to forum rules
    oh but some ones feelings were hurt, thats the problem here

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The only post in this thread that was removed by a moderator invoked A) Politics and B) foul language.

Both are violations of forum rules:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?pages/QRZ_Forums_Code_of_Conduct/

No further public discussion of moderation - PM or email if you have questions.

Dave
    W7UUU

KM9G likes this.