ad: elecraft

How to fix 'Exciter Tuning' assembly on Collins 32S1

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by VE2GCE, Mar 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had recently bought a second 32S1 as a spare and found two issues with the Exciter Tuning assembly that move the 4 x ferrite slugs for the 6AH6 and 6CL6 RF amplifier/driver tuned circuits.

1) The course (outer) control for exciter tuning works OK, but the fine (inner) control does not move the ferrite slugs at all. Is this fixable or does the whole mechanical assembly need to be replaced ?

2) I noticed one of the ferrite slugs is disconnected from the tuning assembly.
    I am attempted to simply crazy glue it back in place, but I am worried about changing the Q of this slug.
    Any recommendations on what type of adhesive I should use to secure the disconnected ferrite slug ?

Thanks

Tino, VE2GCE

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GCE:

Crazy glue won't hold! Use epoxy to secure the ferrite to the tuning mechanism. That will not have any effect on the "Q".

The lack of response when the exciter tuning knob is turned is a very common malady on the S-Line and KWM-2- series. Look at the rear of the long bracket that is over the assembly. You will see a large nut with a smaller setscrew in the center. The setscrew requires a Bristol wrench to move.

VERY slightly loosen the large nut by turning counter-clockwise while holding the setscrew in place with a Bristol wrench. Then, turn the setscrew clockwise a few degrees. Try the knob. If it still doesn't work, then tighten the setscrew a little more. Continue until the knob works properly. You might get the setscrew too tight and then you will have to turn it counter-clockwise a bit. When things are working, then hold the setscrew in place and then turn the nut clockwise until it is tight.

Be VERY careful when loosening the nut. There is a very small glass ball bearing between the center of the setscrew and the movable portion of the tuning assembly. You do NOT want to lose this ball bearing!

Glen, K9STH

technical adviser-1a.jpeg

VE2GCE likes this.
  3. VE2GCE

Thank you Glen for your detailed remedy.

4. VE2GCE

I just got around to working on my 32S1 and the Bristol wrench trick fixed my issue. :)