ad: elecraft

How to Fix a Bad Radio Voice

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Web SDRs (online receivers) are invaluable tools for judging how you sound compared to others. This works particularly well when in a QSO with several other stations on lower bands such as 80M where one receiver is likely to pick everyone up.

Select a receiver at www.websdr.org either from the list or using the world map at the bottom of the page. Next, set it to your frequency and mode, then use the Record feature to grab a sample of you along with others. That file can then be downloaded for playback on your computer.

This is probably the most objective method for evaluating your audio and how it compares to others.

G3ZPF, WS4JM, W2VW and 1 other person like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am so sorry! Not! ;):p:cool:

WA9SVD and AG4RT like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My voice is bad at times. Normally early in the morning.

This is what someone recommended.

upload_2019-10-9_7-40-7.jpeg

NL7W likes this.
  4. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Castration used to be popular for vocalists, you might try that.

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, this post has gone to hell.

KI7HSB likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

See “key Competition” thread to find the cure for bad audio

N2EY likes this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I fully agree that a recording is the best way to fine tune audio. Onair helpdesk QSOs are FB once in a blue moon but they seem to occur much more than that. Some with the same folks almost every day.

Not sure about ssb but I've noticed some SDR receivers compress recovered AM audio.

Have you noticed that Clark?

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a big 10-4 :(

9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit in both ways. There's AGC compression to an extent and of course data compression for make the recorded audio file smaller. Still, it eliminates a lot of subjectivity encountered after asking "so how does this sound?" and everyone in the recording is subjected to the same conditions.

What's also nice is the ability to click and drag the bandwidth so you can hear how you sound under a variety of receiving conditions.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    W2VW likes this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have known a fair number of YL operators over the years including a girl that I dated in college. However, she got her license after I was married to my present wife (and only one so far after 54-years of marriage).

Glen, K9STH