How to Fix a Bad Radio Voice

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly my complaint for that little gem which removes speech waveforms and turns them into something from Emerson Lake and Palmer.

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Auto-TuneĀ®

3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

And echo on ham radio is great as long as it is from simultaneous long and short path.

WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love it when that happens!

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^ Only experienced this once in my life. Startled me at the time and it wasn't until much later that I finally understood what happened.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

How long have you been at this now? o_O

One of three possible answers here -
    a) not very long
    b) not paying attention
    c) is one of those leches everyone is talking about

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you use a good beam and aim short path when long path is also open, you'll hear it pretty often if you run enough power.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I've noticed is that Hams don't sound their age on air.
    Most sound as if they are in their mid-thirties.
    Those I knew when they actually were that age still sound the same as they did then.

Very few sound like Grandpa Simpson!

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding eq setting of your own voice in headphones, yes you're correct. They'll generally lie to you unless the level is high enough to overcome bone conduction, and that's not likely or healthy. The human head has a resonance at ~700 hz. Bone conduction tends to favor lower frequencies. So you'll often end up with a slightly thin setting unless you're aware of that and about your own headphones and how they sound on your bean. This is where a friend comes in handy.

Setting compressors/limiters/expanders can usually be done by the numbers. Proper gain staging of the input signal, selection of compression ratio, attack and release times, can generally be done using the built in metering. Even the cheap crappy ones usually have something. Once you have that behaving the way you want it, you can listen. Artifacts of compression and limiting such as pumping or distortion are usually not frequency response dependent, at least in the context of a basic setup for radio.

10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I find a Ham with a strong signal and have him listen to my audio. They will work with you and tell you the best sounding settings. They own a quality outboard speaker and a fine radio. Many have a scope to see your audio signal and are expert at this. They will also record your signal and transmit it back to you.