How to find your Grid for VHF work

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ4RT, May 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering how one goes about finding out what their grid is. I have never been into this before but it would be nice to know just for the heck of it.

2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N8TGQ likes this.
  3. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Had never thought to look at that but they do have my county wrong. It is NOT Alamance. It's Guilford

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is usually OK for a four character Grid Square, but is often (usually?) off with the six character Grid Square. (QRZ as well as many mapping services) often uses the center of one's Zip Code to determine a Grid Square. To be precise to six characters, (required for some contests and usually for UHF/microwave QSO's) the easiest way is to use (or borrow) a GPS unit. Right or wrong (especially while roving,) use ONE Grid Square throughout a contest, even if you get it just a few feet "off."

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WA9SVD

It's good. I'm in one GS and my next door neighbor is in another... (IF you split hairs... or six character Grid Squares.:D):rolleyes:

Of course, it only works if you know your location and have Internet access. That isn't always possible when roving, so we have to use the "best guess" method.:rolleyes:

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have an android phone (may also work with iphone) load "hamgps" which will give your grid location down to 10 digits or "grid square locator" which will show your position within your grid and your surrounding grids. Both are great, especially if you are out roving.

AG6QR likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

The problem with some of us "rovers" is we operate in areas with no cell service...:(:eek: