ad: Stlouis-1

How to find 1/8W resistors in popular shopping place?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AA7EJ, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a poor attempt for a joke.
    Apparently place where everybody shops for electronic components
    DOES NO RECOGNIZE DIGIT 8!

No matter what I search for I always get "1/4" W or watt or Watt
    resistors.

I'll take it back - found ONE seller , but I don't NEED 3000 ( that is three thousands) of them!

Tried "Dan's small parts - but could find how to "search" for specific item - likes resistors.
    Life is complicated.

73 Shirley

2. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried mOuser electronics and they have thsat cascading selection system. But they do have 1/8 under carbon film and I selected cut tape. Apply filters, and they list minimum of 1. It took my computer over 3 minutes for the page to load properly.

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/_/N-5g9n/

3. AA7EJ

Ah...senior moment...
    Do they still have "no minimum?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy my small resistors from Jameco Electronics.

100 are cheap enough to have spares on hand, And to share with others.

Normally building to save money does not work.

You pay extra to have all the fun of building.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out Tayda Electronics in Thailand for some of the best deals on small quantities of common parts. Hard to beat their prices, and shipping is cheap, but takes a few days.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Shirley,

No minimums on any of the major suppliers anymore.

Any specific requirement for 1/8W? Are you limited by size? 1/4W are smaller then they used to be.

Here are some nice assortments from one big supplier:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/kits/resistor-kits/653?k=resistor+assortment&k=&pkeyword=resistor+assortment&pv7=269&sf=0&FV=1140050,ffe0028d&quantity=&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

Of course you can make up your own assortment easily enough. Prices go way down as you get bigger multiples: about 1/2 price each for 10, 1/3 price for 25, and 1/4 price for 50 qty.

Mark.

7. AA7EJ

Yes, size does matter!
    I made a decision about the main PCB and now trying to utilize the "empty" area under some of the modules. For example I need couple of attenuators I do not have to have access to during operation.
    I am not too keen on using SMT , but it is an option too.
    Perhaps my MAIN excuse is - I am too lazy to rummage thru my junk boxes to find the right resistor values.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Think I have a bunch, let me know if you need a few of a few values and I will look.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

No one has a lifetime supply of R-S resistors from their mega-assortment? I have some 20+ years old, plus several partial inherited assortments.

10. AA7EJ

Thanks Tom,
    I found some 1/4W I can convince to fit into .3 space holes.
    After wasting all this time searching I realized that "for few $ more" I can dive to local supply.
    Actually buying $1 worth of resistors and paying $10 for shipping convinced me.

Funny about R_S stuff - there are plenty of breadboards on e-bay - some with original Chinese markings but identical to RS.

Just wonder why nobody makes them on fiberglass.