How to design the front end of a radio

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KG6NEI, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

A check of my designs (which can still be purchased today) show I always use a L-network to match 50 ohms to the input of the 1st LNA.

Frank:)

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a ton of great stuff on this, but you should start with the ARRL Handbook (almost any edition).

A few ground rules before you start, however.

1) GAIN is the easiest thing in the world to achieve. Anyone can build a really lousy preamp with a lot of gain. Don't go there.

2) Noise is always a function of temperature. The lower the temperature, the lower the noise. There are two ways to keep the temperature down....low current or large mass. R.F. power transistors make great low-noise front ends for receivers!

3) Never design a stage for maximum gain. Transistors are cheap. Design for stability...which means several low gain stages are better.

4) Use lossless negative feedback if you can. This is a cool...but advanced...technique.

5) Front end selectivity is a good thing.

Have fun!

eric

3. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Modern transistors are "HotRods"

Eric has a great point about gain. Modern transistors have a tremendous amount of gain and low noise figures available and there relatively cheap. Keeping that gain under control and maintaining stability can be a real challenge. Many times I have chosen grounded Gate JFET's (J310) for use up to and including two meters for this reason.

Frank:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.