ad: vanity

How to connect mixer to ftdx-3000

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5CXO, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:59 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5CXO

KI5CXO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to be able to have different mics/audio go into my rig. How do I do this?

Reece
    KI5CXO

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Behringer audio mixer is one way to do it.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This mixer often yields a "gravelly voice":

mixer.gif

Hookup can be challenging, but it's output is, well, concrete.

WE4E likes this.
  4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to just use different mics, you can generally just make a cable and plug it in. Pinouts will vary very slightly depending on the radio, obviously, but there's really no drama in it.

If you want to add a mixer to use external eq or compression or whatever, that's a little more involved. The level coming out of the mixer is entirely too high to stick into the radio. If you're halfway adept, you can easily make up a resistor pad and bury it inside the mic connector. You're going to want a minimum of 40db of loss, maybe a little more depending on the last device in the line. Google "audio T pad" and you'll get some ideas.

External devices like that can, depending on the device and your particular station, attract a little stray RF into your audio. A small assortment of snap-on ferrites is handy, as are some .1uf ceramic disc capacitors.

Or you can just buy a W2IHY iBox which does all of that.

5. KI5CXO

KI5CXO Ham Member QRZ Page

how would I plug mixer into rig??

6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy one of these, and ask Julian to make a cable for you. You'll connect the mixer to the input, and connect the output to the radio just like a microphone. The knob on the iBox will control the level into the radio so you don't overdrive it.

Connect the mic to the mixer, the mixer to the iBox, the iBox to the radio. Talk into the mic and adjust the mixer so the meters move to just below "0". Put the mic gain on the radio about where it would be with just a mic connected to it. Talk into the mic and watch the ALC on the radio, and adjust the iBox for a little movement. That should get you in the ballpark.

Be careful adjusting the mixer especially with EQ and other effects. A little goes a long way.