ad: UR5CDX-1

How to confirm my callsign properly?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by HA2ZB, Feb 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear it more and more all the time. It is becoming a common usage even as the use of "Q" signals (and prosigns) declines, and as the only working linguist I know says, "Usage wins, every time."

Even so, I would send QSL, "R", or "C". "C" was the most common usage many years ago, but fewer and fewer new hams understand the correct usage of "C".

WA1GXC likes this.
  2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

That was well said... And ."Usage wins, every time." That's my concern for less-experienced hams picking-up non-standard usage and it
    then becomes the norm. And then the legacy procedures which developed because they worked, become dead.

To quote a jerk who's my height,weight, and shoe size, "Bad operating breeds bad operating."

I'm not gonna get upset or go nuts on anyone, it's kinda trivial in the big picture, but I have a personal antipathy for now near-universal use
    of "QSL" when a simple "R" or "RRR" under weak-signal conditions is appropriate. QSL was traditionally used only within the setting of
    formal message/telegram traffic on Amateur and commercial/maritime frequencies.

And C or CC or OK ( was E-E K in landline Morse) works great, punches thru, and is unambiguous.

Unfortunately, when you do something right or pronounce a place name correctly the way locals do, the uninformed think you're a moron.
    "Due-Boyz Pennsylvania"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    HA2ZB likes this.
  3. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

C
    Yes or “The significance of the previous group should be read in the
    affirmative”

CFM
    Confirm (or I confirm).

R
    Received.

Is this valid for HAM-Radio?

Rüdiger
    DD5RK

4. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would QRS a bit and send:

DE HA2ZB ? HA2ZB ? BK

To which the other op would reply

BK RR and carry on with the QSO

Yea, yea, I know BK is something people don't always like but ... I'm so used to it as a quick turn pseudo prosign.

HA2ZB likes this.