How to conect Tadiran Amplifier Micom 500

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by OA4SER, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How to conect !!!

1. Help Please

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cable Conections

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OA4SER

OA4SER Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, I bought a set of Micom 500e Motorola and Tadiran. Everything Works Fine, I sold in Motorola 2ET HF Equipment and I kept the Tadiran 500 Amplifier, Now I want to connect it with my Icom 7300 and I have no idea how to make it work. I thank you in advance for your help. Thank you so much. Toño León Del Risco (OA4SER)

Attached Files:

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked up the user manual on your equipment and see it is a micro controlled communications package.
    With the amplifier as a stand alone, you would need a power supply at 28 volts and at least 60 amp capability to feed this amplifier to full power.
    Without a schematic it will be difficult to figure out how to adapt for more simple Amateur radio use and the controls it uses through the panel connector from a front control receiver...
    Just an an example of a similar undertaking; I adapted a specialty commercial compandor amplifier designed for the 220 mhz band.
    I obtained the schematic and documentation , figured out how it was controlled through the connecting ports.
    I had to build an outboard bypass RF relay system complete with push to talk control; test the input drive requirements and build an attenuator system for power control in my system because the amplifier has very high gain capability due to being driven by a receiver output level signal..
    Bottom line is, you will need to be able to figure out and understand the amplifier and how it works , make modifications and work with it for your intended use.
    This is usually the problem with trying to use specialty equipment if you don't have full documentation and ability to make the adaption if it is possible.
    Very often the purchase cost is very cheap because no one 'normally' knows how to "easily" use the equipment but a technically proficient person..
    I won't say is cannot be done, but will be of some complication in figuring it all out without documentation.
    The user manual I looked at does not provide that level of information to do so.
    The tech manuals are available but at a cost from ameriradio.com.
    Your only hope is some one who has done it or is very familiar with this amplifier unit.
    On my project, I already have had requests for info and Docs on how I did conversion of my 220 amplifier to the 222 band and the control circuits to make it compatible for drive from a 222 Transverter driven by a Kenwood TS2000 on 10 meters and it is only a single band system.
    So you see how complex this got for my adaptation.
    Wish you good luck on your possibility.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    OA4SER likes this.
  3. OA4SER

OA4SER Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the only thing I found ...

Attached Files:

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

From the list, you will need pins 8/10.
    May need to supply 13.8 volts to pin 11. this likely will operate other control circuits.
    18 as common ground between the radio and amp.
    May need one or more pins 13,19,24,25.
    A schematic to see what the pins do is eccentrical to stay out of trouble.
    I can't see where the RF drive from the radio is inputted unless it is at very low level through the connector. In that case your radio would be set to min power and still use an attenuator to reduce input signal to the unit since we don't know the gain/drive requirements at this time.
    This is why one needs to look over the schematic, read the circuit and determine the uses and needs.
    This is what I had to do to make my system into a useful operation. I had the same type of connector control to deal with. Many of the options are of no value to simple key up and drive operation.
    The systems are designed to not be control buzzy to the casual user from the front panel controller if he is not competent or authorized to make adjustments to a business system.
    Good luck.

OA4SER likes this.
  5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's an SO-239 on the other side of the case for rf in.

6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So apparently this was part of a Motorola Mobat Micom 500E HF radio system. Continuous duty commercial radio made in Israel.

This appears to be the user guide. More info here. Some history of the radio here. And apparently in some units, Mobat used the SGC SG-500 Powercube.

Haven't found a schematic yet.

It may be as simple as +28 for the PA, +13.8 for the control, PTT and ALC. I think you can safely ignore most of the signals on that connector. There's no radio or control head to be concerned with.

OA4SER likes this.