How to communicate my "number" in my call

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N8SAN, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I have a hard time getting my number to come across in an exchange.
    They'll copy everything right the first time but will bounce around between 2 and 6 are my most common.
    N2SAN or N6SAN.....

I've tried communicating the number phonetically, but that rarely works.
    They'll just keep asking for my prefix.

I do tend to talk fast, but am very conscious when this situation arrives and I slow it down.
    So my question is, how should I go about getting this to communicate correctly.

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that ocho works.

KK5JY, N8SAN and W1TRY like this.
  3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

It'd be helpful to know what phonetics you currently employ ...

or otto or acht

K9ASE likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried to emphasize the "T" sound in eight?

I've sometimes heard operators count up to the number involved, like - "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, EIGHT, EIGHT, EIGHT!"

5. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I identify my call as follows; "Whiskey Number Two Alpha Alpha Tango", when conditions are poor or the contact station is having a problem getting my call.

You might want to say "Number Eight"

Some people have a problem with the "T" at the end of my call. If they don't get the "Tango", I usually use "Texas".

Hope this helps....

Corky W2AAT

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    K9ASE, KA0HCP and N0TZU like this.
  6. N8SAN

Ocho! I never thought of that.

I use the standard alphabet. November Eight Sierra Alpha November

Very much so. I've done the counting up to 8 as well. Exactly that way too! :D

I don't like to, but sometimes I'll use "sugar alpha nancy" it makes my skin crawl because I'm so ingrained with the standard alphabet, (Pilot since 15yrs old), but I do find that does work.

It is interesting and kinda baffles me how they hear "two" or "six" for eight. I've had a few rag chews with a couple dx stations and have never been told my audio is bad or anything like that. And I don't change my settings or operating practices.
    Anyway! Thanks for all the tips guys!
    Ryan

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I notice you posted in the "The DX Zone" forum. Is that an indication that your problem is mostly connected with DX contacts? Could propagation, QRM, etc be a factor?
    Kilo 3 Xray Radio

8. N8SAN

Certainly! I did pick this forum for that reason, but like I said, my other identifiers come though typically first call or 2nd in a pileup for clarification. Just my number that has a hard time. I also picked this forum specifically to get others feedback when they run into that.

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Put the emphasis (and volume on the 8) November EIGHT Sierra Alpha November

N0TZU likes this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI RYAN,

JERRY - N7WR
    HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD

CHECK OUT THIS SITE
    http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/voice-strength-training/

73 - K1LKP