How To Clean A Chassis ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5FRH, Feb 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used a particular methodology for several years to clean chassis's that I worked out when I used to restore vintage stereo gear.

1. Take the unit outside and blow it out with canned air.
    2. Clean the pots, tube sockets, variable capacitors with Deoxit or Blue Shower
    3 Lay the chassis on the side on a thick towel and clean it with a clean paintbrush dipped in denatured alcohol.

I also clean the cabinets with a rag dampened with denatured alcohol and let it dry prior to any painting.

This has worked well for me and I like the denatured alcohol because it evaporates quickly.

Naturally, I do this in a ventilated environment...

As always, I learn much from the pros on here, so wanted to run this by the pros and look for additional suggestions or better ways of doing things.

Thank You. Rod, K5FRH

KI7HSB likes this.
  2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Just a caution -- De-Oxit is a superb product, but a lot of folks might tend to over-use it

as if it is contact cleaner. A spray-wash on tube sockets , variable caps, and switch wafers is looking

for trouble in RF circuits. Ceramic material will soak it up and even phenolic tube sockets are to

some extent petroleum-phylic. Wash a component and contacts/wipers if needed with contact cleaner,

then apply De-Oxit very precisely with a toothpick or just the residue liquid remaining on the red plastic spray

"straw" to the individual contact point.

In the Good Old Days, Centralab heavy-duty ceramic rotary switches that might be used in a transmitter

came packed with a little slip cautioning not to mess with the ceramic material which came from the

factory impregnated with an anti-moisture material.

De-Oxit is really expensive (no problem with that) . Use it appropriately.

G L

W4NNF likes this.
  3. K5FRH

WOW.....thanks for the heads up. I will be very careful to be very sparing when I clean.

4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you are gonna apply deoxit and leave it on rotary switches, I would apply it there with a Q tip, not spray, ever. Just to the contacts. The spray is good for getting inside of pots, is all. Although their Faderlube is better for that IMO. I clean chassis with pure isop. I guess denatured is OK, they are both flammable. After a good physical cleaning with an air compressor after a small vac, for loose dust and debris. If you want to use it on tube sockets I would apply it to the tube pins instead of getting it all over the socket trying to get it in the holes. And I am not sure how well it would work on really high heat tubes like rectifiers and transmitting tubes. I don't do those. You might have some small stiff brushes as the chassis might need scrubbing for some residues that don't just wash away easily.

5. K5FRH

Thanks. As an FYI, I was looking on Amazon for Deoxit and found that it is actually packaged in a number of different containers...including "toothpaste tubes" with small tips...ideal for cleaning individual contacts. They also sell very small "q tip" type cleaning wands as well. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=deoxit&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

pressure washer, 5 minutes, done. Dry in Sun for a day, put on bench for a week while doing all the electrical rework and cabinet painting. Assemble, Align, use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N4GKS, N8WCL, KD8QBW and 1 other person like this.
  7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

More, more!