ad: Retevis-1

How to Choose Your Summits on the Air Day Pack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, May 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1TXT

W1TXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good points made during the video! I highly recommend sectionhiker.org for backpack reviews and sizing help. Features, weight, pack carry, etc., are all reviewed. It's an excellent resource for anyone with or without experience in choosing a pack. I currently have two smaller Osprey Stratos packs (24L and 36L). For longer trips, I take my ULA Circuit (68L) or CDT (50L+). The Stratos packs are considered "technical" packs as they have many features. They carry extremely well due to their design and are not inexpensive. The 36L Stratos is what I consider the perfect pack for hiking, SOTA, travel, etc.

KC5HWB and NJ7V like this.
  2. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to side track too much but ULA Catalyst is the overall best multi-day pack I've ever had, also have the CDT, and now eyeing the Photon for basic day pack. Can't say enough about ULA products and cust service. Agree on Osprey line, comfy with features but you pay for it in weight vs ULA and others. 73

NJ7V likes this.
  3. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

The best pack I ever had (and still have) is a custom-made one from a sweatshop in Colombia. Fits me to a tee. I even had two custom-made holsters for my handguns that are velcroed on the inside if that is where I wanted to keep them. Custom-made pockets for Motorolla HT's and batteries and channels to put the cables to the Mic.

We got discounts from the owner since we were there so much.

VK6APZ/SK2022, KC5HWB and NJ7V like this.
  4. N0JZQ

N0JZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Join the USMC. They gave me a nice backpack for free.

KG7HVR, AA5BK and NJ7V like this.
  5. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

The best back-pack is the one your daughter-in-law gets for you from a charity shop, that is the right price and strongly made. It is big enough to get my Yaesu -FT-991A in and still space for a flask and some food. Also has excellent harness straps with quick release on. It is a Regatta ,Survivor 15 in green water resistant canvas and looks similar to the Icom one made for the IC 705 QRP SDR Radio with one hell of a difference in price.
    Love the comment by N0JZQ. Join the USMC and get one issued. I was issued with a "Hong Kong pack when I was out in Malaysia. A large Bergen that all of my radio and personnel kit went into for me to yomp along with the Light Infantry out there.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021