ad: chuckmartin

How to buy Motorola CPS online?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4EHX, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m looking to buy a copy of CPS for the APX radios. Particularly the APX 7000. I’m perhaps a little uneducated on how to buy CPS from Motorola. There isn’t a how to guide online that I could find.

I am open to other avenues, but whatever works is fine by me! Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully I can get this thing up and running.

Nate
    KN4EHX

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nate, You will have to contact your local Motorola two-way radio shop. They would have an account, and that is online. Unless you contact Schaumberg and set up your own account, ( which would be more trouble than you know ); your only option would be a shop or (possibly) a distributor to the shops. That radio model series is too new to show up at Hamfests. Sorry. Your only alternative might be a write-your-own program. Try Batlabs for that thin hope.

3. KN4EHX

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a little more time on here and if all else fails I’ll give a shout to one of the Motorola shops. I know the CPS is out in the wild and several people on here surely have it or the experience to point me in the right direction. P25 stuff is a little odd for we hams, but they made more than one flavor of ice cream for a reason.

Nate

4. KN4EHX

Got it now, thanks everyone for the help.

KN4EHX

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KN4EHX

For enough money Motorola will make it happen hahaha. I guess compared to the cost of the radio it isn’t so terrible if you had a fleet of radios to program. $300~.

Same for mototrbo, but you can find the CPS online in some dark corners or here if you have a DMR friend. Unfortunately there isn’t so many APX users.

Motivation for the APX was the CPS was cheaper than Harris RPM for the Unity series. Additionally RPM is pretty much locked to one computer. Otherwise I would have likely been a Harris guy. Programming cable prices also played a big role.

Now if it would only work on DMR.... can’t have your cake and eat it too....I suppose. Wait... yes, you can, and they shall call it Kenwood.

Rant over, but likewise I love it when a plan comes together.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Distributing Copyrighted Motorola software is not legal.

That is why it is hard to find.

Best to ask a dealer or friend. You should not post on a open forum. ;)

WA9SVD likes this.
  8. KN4EHX

Exactly! We responsible adults buy from Big Mother M!

Disclaimer to concerned parties: I do not condone, suggest, or partake in copyright infringement.

Any statements made above were strictly a rant in response to the price I PAID FOR MY Motorola officially licensed CPS - as many others have posted (ranted) on this open forum.

I responsibly pay my hard earned American dollar to all rightful owners for the use of their intellectual property in accordance to American law.

I encourage all others to strictly adhere to the law as per Uncle Sugar and the almighty who promises fines, imprisonment, hell, fire, and damnation for those who steal copyrighted works. Ooohhh, civil lawsuits too!

With that said, as a poor pea picking graduate student who stopped writing research papers to check on QRZ open forums; I must add I have never had an original thought and likely never will. So please allow me credit to each and everyone for all of their original thoughts and works. $100,000 later in education and many wags of the finger. If anyone learnt this dumb farm boy anything it was ta credit the original intellectual for their thoughts and property. Shew, that sure was a hard lesson on more than one occasion.

My most sincere apologies to anyone who might have misinterpreted my original post. To clarify by other avenues I was meaning authorized Motorola distributors.

***I did not ask for an illegal copy of Motorola’s intellectual property.***

Good work inspectors! The forums are safe again. May we all rest easy meow.

Rant 2.0 over.

And before anyone else suggest I am programming a Trunking system without the key (please for God’s sake of sarcasm someone please do) or system administrators good graces - I’m not.

I do have the sickest radio that money can buy, it can do a whole bunch of crap I don’t need, but it looks wicked cool. John F. Kennedy said, “Don’t ask ‘why’, instead ask ‘why not’.” Rant 3.0 over.

*Disclaimer* this is a thought piece and nothing said in this was directed at anyone. Any resemblance of anyone living or deceased is purely coincidental. Also, since this was written on my phone standing in a dorm room kitchen while eating cheap ramen don’t expect graduate level writing. I’m sure there are many typographical errors in addition to terrible grammar.

Again thanks to everyone for all the help, tip your servers, and always follow FCC rules.

Nate

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You really shouldn't be programming a radio on a trunking system. I hope your radio gets to feeling better.

10. KN4EHX

Agreed, you gave me a good early morning laugh, and the radio is feeling better.

K7JEM likes this.