How to Bid on eBay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You must be using a different eBay than I do.

They absolutely have your name number and finger prints.

In the almost 22 years I have been on eBay, they made that trick about impossible.

W3ATV, K8HIT and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my method:

If you see an item you want to buy, decide what your maximum price is. Then wait until the last half hour or so, bid that number, and walk away. If you win, great, if not, better luck next time.

If you want to sell an item, decide what your minimum price is. Set that price as the starting price, and walk away. If someone buys it, great. If not, try again.

K8MHZ, K9ASE, K3EY and 5 others like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to buy and sell often on eBay.... but I stopped about a decade ago. At first there was very little fraud or deception involved, but over time I started running into things like "tube pullers", DOA gear sold as "like new", and the "Paypal Refund but never return the merchandise" scam. Then the Chinese made goods of dubious quality, and grey market stuff became the norm...... and all of it's former appeal went away completely. Nowadays, I seldom look at the site.

KA7RRA likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

wargames.gif The best choice is not to play.

KK7AMB and N5AL like this.
  5. VK3ZYZ

VK3ZYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I too do that. It is almost like fishing, having nibbles then landing the big one. Sometimes they do get away. And even if you bid a lot higher, the price you pay only goes up enough to be a bit higher than the previous highest.
    So far, I've almost 1000 transactions on Ebay. It is quite a time since I sold anything, but Ebay is usually me first port of call, unless I need something in a hurry.
    Paypal is good. I do not like using a credit card on line for some places. If there is a choice, Paypal is it.
    My Codan 8525A and 8525B HF transceivers were Ebay finds.
    Most times, if there is any problems with the purchased product, the seller will fix it. One was a laser engraver that had a DOA laser. They sent me a new laser.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've bought stuff on eBay, but nothing relating to ham radio equipment.

It can be a good resource, like Amazon, to find "weird stuff you won't find at your local store," in many cases because it's old stuff nobody carries anymore -- so I treat it like a big garage sale, and never have high expectations.

K9ASE likes this.
  7. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sell a lot of fixed price items on eBay. For my cottage industry, narrow market, it works well. I think it's very safe to buy and sell, there are safeguards in place and I can't see how anyone would be a victim of fraud. There is recourse available, you just have to initiate it when there is a problem.

Biggest problem I have is with USPS incorrectly scanning parcels - when tracking progress doesn't make sense the buyers notice. For example, I shipped 20 parcels on Black Friday, instead of scanning them as received they scanned them as delivered. Buyers knew the item wasn't delivered, so I had to explain the error by USPS. I tried to reassure them the parcel was still on the way, but I could tell some buyers were not comfortable.

8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Per a post in the community section regarding sellers self bidding, eBay has electronic scanning looking for it. It is an issue.

9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a Dentron Clippertron amplifier for $165 with 4 extra 572 tubes. The fellow said the amplifier was dead, he was right, however I found out the transformer input taps were never installed. The amplifier works great. I sold the extra tubes for $165. Can the S-38 receive sideband?
    dentron.JPG

KP4SX likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course it can. But starting at about 20m and above it goes squirrelly.

K9ASE, W4IOA and K1OIK like this.