How to Bid on eBay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately some sellers have a few eBay accounts. The accounts go by the email address, not name or location so ebay cannot detect this. When you bid early and no other bids appear for the duration of no bids UNTIL after YOU bid, it is somewhat likely the seller has bid on their own item to increase the price with a different account. Only bid at the last few seconds to avoid this scam. It is more common than you would think.

What if the seller outbids everyone? They simply relist it and do not report non-payment to ebay to preserve their other account.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just don't eBay....it's a cesspool of cesspool stuff.

KB9OFM and N3AB like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've occasionally purchased off of ebay, actually got a fantastic deal and fully functional S38c from a seller. Like anything, buyer beware

N2EY likes this.
  4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a early on eBay customer....I think my account was started maybe 18 years ago or so...I have about 320 transactions...never got screwed until the last one, which was over 5 years ago. I'm a quick learner.

K1OIK likes this.
  5. N8FVJ

k
    Can be a cesspool, but Ham items may only show up on ebay unless you can wait say 6 months for sale on a ham site. And, ebay always refunds on bad deals, Ham sites do not unless you use PayPal. Many hams want a money order, no PayPal, no protection! I been burned a few times paying with a MO and Hams sending junk. Never been burned on ebay, but have received junk and a full refund for the junk.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    KR4YON likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I sell on eBay as "fixed price only". Period.

I gave up selling "auction style" many years ago.

Dave
    W7UUU

KR4YON, W4RAV, K9ASE and 2 others like this.
  7. N8FVJ

Same here only BIN.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's what "fixed price only" means. "Buy it now".

I often use the "Best Offer" - you can define your lower limit for an offer

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  9. N8FVJ

I do that at times too- best offer.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ebay shows I have bot (but never sold) over 1,000 items, with no complaints. I don't buy local retail, only from
    yard sales or Ebay.

I like to snipe (bid in the last few seconds). Fun.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo.

PAPA51315 likes this.