How to be inform of 6m band opening

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VE2WFB, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good tool set for 6 meters is a gain horizontal antenna, Omni horizontal antenna (Squalo, Halo [Personal preference for me is a full wafe loop on 6M]) & a vertical omni antenna.
    If you get into 6M hard, you may eventually want an amp for help.

Ed

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, unless the antenna is mostly for repeater use, one is always better off with horizontal polarization on VHF/UHF. A basic horizontal dipole is better than a vertical for 6M DX.

3. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is not exactly true. FT8 can work with very low signal levels and very fragmented signals. Many times contacts are made on FT8 when the opening will not support SSB activity. DX Maps is not theoretical, it is a real time posting of actual contacts and beacon sightings.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

A more sensitive 'detector'. It may warn you of an SSB/CW opening earlier.

I stand corrected. I got DX maps mixed up with DX Info Centre.

5. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct about the more sensitive detector. My main interest is SSB and lack the capability for FT8, but for those that do, this will work.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Find a list of Beacon stations and tune to one in your usual strong signal path when the band opens. Monitor THAT freq when you are in the shack !

7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The DX cluster alarm in Ham Radio Deluxe ( Logbook ) can be set up to send you an email for spots meeting
    your filter criteria. And DXmaps works well too.

8. K3GM

K3GM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use DX Maps. I set up criteria which when met emails me an alert. Of course, this depends on others to report contacts, so its not perfect.