ad: vanity

How to be inform of 6m band opening

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VE2WFB, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE2WFB

VE2WFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I'm starting to use the 6m band and I wonder what is the best way to stay inform of band opening. Is there any websites/forums that worth tracking?

Fred VE2WFB

2. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Here Fred, I think this site maybe is the one you want, a lot of good features and helpful things on it IMO :) The URl for the 6 meter map is : https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?&HF=N&ML=M&Frec=50&Map=NA . That of course is not the main page but they have nice features like notify via email when an opening is spotted by a user. Good Luck on 6 might get the rig out and get it on the air, Best of luck ,73

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Leaving a radio on 24/7 was the best that worked for me.

That works if you don't mind getting woke up in the middle of the night.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling CQ, even when nothing shows on the spotter sites does work. Many times, people have their 6M rig on & listening, but never call CQ.

Ed

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the FT8 app have an alarm function (alarming upon the receipt of DX that is)?

6. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not WSJT-X/JTDX but JTAlert does. Best add-on out there.

8. VA3VF

Another way to see what is going on, using FT8 as the mode, is hamspots.net.

9. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think your methods and tools might be a bit different for SSB/CW than for digital modes such as FT8. My comments above are for SSB.

10. VA3VF

An opening does not care about modes. If anything, there seems to be more consistent activity on the FT8 segments, and hence more opportunities to 'see' an opening, than with any other mode. If one keeps watch on the SSB/CW 'watering holes' only, he/she risks missing the opening. If you see FT8 activity, by all means try SSB/CW.

The maps are excellent, of course, but not the only way, and they are theoretical. Nothing beats actual, off the air, activity as an indicator.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    AA7QQ likes this.