How time changes things - Checking if frequency is in use on CW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG5NII, Jul 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it’s really cool how that specific technique survives to this day. Imagine traveling back in time (or an OM from those old times coming forward to now) and seeing this same technique. A nice connection to the past. That’s one reason why I like CW, even though I need to practice it and start using it again. Now, to get the Delorean up to 88 MPH...

2. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"88" has been getting a bit of bad press of late...

K3XR likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, what "commercial CW operators" do means NOTHING with practices in Amateur Radio.:confused: QRL (the question mark is already part of the Q-code.) is the PROPER way to ask, AFTER listening if a frequency is in use.

W5WN and WB5YUZ like this.
  4. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, I would actually pay money to witness this happening today

WR2E likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 1950 and 1977 Radio Amateur Handbooks published by the ARRL simply say to listen on the frequency you will use to transmit and refrain from using it if you hear others using it.

The 1964 Harper Collins Handbook says pretty much the same thing.

I'll keep on using QRL?, thank you very much. If you hear me sending QRL? you will also hear my callsign immediately after if no one else sends "QRL" or "C" or GET LOST LID. If you hear me send WB5YUZ/QRPP give me a call, since I'm probably using 500 mW to tune/test my antennas and I like to have 500 mW QSOs in the log.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    W5WN likes this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK on QRL? Tried to email you about a sked to try 500mw QSO with you in Texas, I'm in Ohio.

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I'll send a message.

The e-mail account tied to my license has expired. It is surprisingly hard to change it. However, that means QRZ also has the wrong one...

8. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been continuously licensed for 58 years and never heard of the dit dit dit method of checking if the frequency was in use. If I heard it I wouldn't know that it was a question on frequency use. QRL? and C for a response is all that I've ever heard. Maybe it was a regional thing. However, now that I know that people use the dit dit method, I'll take heed. I think it's a good idea!

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard & used didit dit (I E) to check a frequency. Not dit dit dit (E E E).

After sending QRL IMI... I've heard; QRL, C, & ES (short for 'Yes') if the frequency is in use. - I reply with a quick Dit Dit or SRI & move elsewhere.

dit dit

W5WN likes this.
  10. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the IE nuance. If I'm going to use it, I need to use it correctly!

W5BIB likes this.