How time changes things - Checking if frequency is in use on CW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG5NII, Jul 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Never heard of using what you mentioned. Just QRL? Been active for 50 years so I don't think it was in common use. Also spent 4 years copying commercial and other governmental Cw in the 70's and they didn't use it either.

AG5DB likes this.
  2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

46 years here. Never heard ditdit dit. But if I do I’m guna QRL? it.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually adopted the practice for a couple months as a test. Nope... not one time did it work. Never got a dit back.

W7UUU and KI5WW like this.
  4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*deleted* wrong context ... sorry

5. AB2RA

AB2RA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed in 1959, and got involved in traffic nets. The dit dit - dit was common to do when checking in. The NCS would go K if OK to transmit. People who operated in CW nets were much more common then. Outside a net, the practice may not have been familiar. I agree with one post that said today no one would know what the dit dit - dit was about these days.

6. AB2RA

Forgot to comment on the bug issue. Some are acquiring bugs as a revisit to the old days. Practice is needed, even more than with an electronic keyer, because of the mechanical nature of the dits and the manually formed dahs. A bug is never as readable as any other method to me. There is a characteristic "swing" you have to learn to copy. I admit that perfect code has spoiled me. I tend to avoid bad fists of any source, unless I really need them for a contest score.

7. AB2RA

On a lighter note, I have a historical puzzle:
    After Marconi made his first transmission, what did he hear immediately?

"Frequency is in use, OM"

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i never learned the I-E as an abbreviated QRL? -- I did learn the 'C' as an affirmative response. Most did though b/c I've have people send QRL? to which I response "C" just to have them send "? ? ? de XX4XX"

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

If you hear "QRL?" it's best just to let it go without a reply... No reply is required or needed... Exception is if you are using said freq.

AG5DB likes this.