How time changes things - Checking if frequency is in use on CW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG5NII, Jul 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

W2RE.... Dit Dit Dit is the old landline American morse for C.....and has been used to check circuit availability for well over 100 years. I use it all the time.....we used it all the time in MARS CW nets as well.

Eric

2. KL7AJ

And....if the frequency IS in use, you get a single DIT back. Very fast and effective.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep... I've been reading up on that since I posted last.

Indeed it was, and for a time was in some ARRL pubs.

But it certainly was never taught to me, nor in the past 49 years do I recall having heard it! That tells me it may be partially a regional thing, or had fallen out of use before 1970-ish.

Problem now would seem to be that if it is in fact a preferred, better way of asking if the freq is in use, how to get people back to using it.

I know if I start using it now, no one will know what the heck it means.

4. KL7AJ

I don't know. Try it and see. You may be surprised!

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to! Will report back.

6. KG5NII

KG5NII Ham Member QRZ Page

Prior to reading your reply, I was pretty much convinced that I was going to end up attributing it all to my recollection of past events as being faulty due to it occurring so long ago. Either that, or I am delusional. But I remember the same as you. My memory leads me to believe it might have been the ARRL Handbook, but I cannot be for absolute certain. I distinctly remember reading about it in some ARRL publication from that era. So perhaps my mentors learned from the same source. So I think we can at the very least rule out it being a localized practice. I do feel a small sense of vindication.

I believe I probably read this from the ARRL Handbook. So this one tiny piece of information could be easily overlooked and forgotten.
    I do not have any recollection of there being any large program or significant CW etiquette initiative promoting the practice, but more likely just a small mention on a chart somewhere in the handbook.

7. KG5NII

I've been vindicated and am not just a confused old man with a bad memory after all!
    I still feel old though. At least my memory appears to be intact. I'll take it!

KF5KWO, K6FNI and WR2E like this.
  8. KG5NII

I believe it to be more a CW etiquette question than a FCC rules one.

9. KG5NII

Yes this is a spot on description of how we saw the FCC, except instead having a switch applied to our behinds, it was believing we would be carted off to jail and then fined $10,000 by men in black suits wearing Pat Boone shoes. Oh the horror! The horror!

WR2E likes this.
  10. KG5NII

This is all fascinating info and thank you for sharing it.