How the #@*& does RTTY work??

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KK4JW, Jul 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sorry I didn't get back sooner - just forgot.

I think you're pretty close - so do this: switch to a dummy load, make certain the IC-7300 is set to RTTY, the AF gain (volume) is turned up, and the "Monitor Level" is set to 50% or so, then pick any typical RTTY frequency (14.080 maybe), make sure MMTTY is showing noise and a "noise blob" in the scope window - just making sure the receive part of the software is working (no, not decoding any RTTY stations but that's OK for now). Now just click any of the preset macro buttons - doesn't matter which.... if you've done the above, and all is well, you should hear "diddles" - the tones set 170 Hz apart for mark and space- in your speaker. If you don't, again make sure the volume is up, and the monitor level is up.

Do these things and report back on what happens - if anything. If you hear the tones, you are transmitting.

Dave
    W7UUU

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have enjoyed disappointing results with RTTY, true FSK, AFSK, real and soundcard over SSB... Very few QSOs, very few decodes.

My KX2 has a RTTY mode. I've tried it, given up.

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@KV4JW, I'd be glad to give a listen for you some time... Maybe 40, 80 or 20? I'm off work until Monday. After that, any week-end.... Open ended mission!

4. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

To KV4JW, these questions are still the first mandatory step to setting up your TX.
    The fact that you’re using a USB cable doesn’t really matter, you need to clarify it to yourself what is the difference between FSK and AFSK implementation of RTTY.
    Only after you’ve done that, we can provide advice that’s useful to you.

And if you aren’t quite sure which way you’re trying to transmit, that’s ok, just say so and we’ll go from there.

5. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good timing for this thread.. On the project list for next weekend is setting up & configuring my TS-590SG with MMTTY & N1MM+. The "YL Rookie" wants to participate in the RTTY Rookie Roundup in August. My job is to get everything working before the event. ;)

I've been email-conversing with a fellow 590 user who provided some excellent advice for using the rig in FSK mode, which interestingly enough made me take a second look at my current digital mode configuration.

To the OP: I came across several write-ups and videos for the IC-7300 & RTTY setup in my searches. Lots of information out there.

Even though I don't own a 7300, I did watch this video linked below.

KB0MNM likes this.