ad: ProAudio-1

How should I handle my speed for a first QSO?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KT5MR, Oct 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do whatever you like, and see how others respond.

The 23/5 ratio may be a bit disconcerting for some. Personally, I wouldn't care although 5-7 wpm makes me pretty sleepy no matter how fast characters are sent.

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

If speed is an issue, just hang out around the SKCC frequencies and not only will you get QSOs, but will also help others.

3. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer: Whatever is comfortable for you!

Just avoid answering a CQ that is sent faster than you can comprehend. They will generally slow down to accommodate, though. What I've experienced so far, If someone is calling at 30 wpm, that is who they want to talk to. Going from 30 wpm down to 10 wpm seems rude to me. If someone is sending CQ at 10 wpm and you're comfortable at 6 wpm, go for it.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The best thing to do is spend some time listening to the CW bands, 40M between 7110 and 7125 is a good place to start, Find a QSO that is comfortable to copy and LISTEN ! Whan you can copy easily and get the info, look for a CQ running at this spend and answer it at the same speed !
    The SKCC Club members are either newer CW ops just learning Morse, or old timers who want to set a good example on the QSOs between members,
    They can be found on or near; 3550, 7055, 7114, 7120, 10120, 14050 kHz etc.
    Try listening to the QSOs on those freqs.
    Maybe join the club and join in on the activities we hold.
    www.skccgroup.com for more info.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure I'd agree with the "good example" part.

Most of the OT SKCC guys I've worked have lousy fists. Seriously -- especially those who think they can use a bug but really can't.:p

I avoid them now.:)

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, ... some Old timers are having physical problems that come with age but sometimes a lot of experience can overcome my pains of arthritis and diabedic neuropathy, :eek:
    It hurts to send very fast with a straight key after 55 years of brass pounding :
    I try to go slow and Steady !

I don't avoid someone with a lousy fist, I call them and take the challenge of figuring out what they are trying to tell me :D Like solving a puzzle ....:rolleyes:

W5BIB and N4NYK like this.
  7. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I must not have been properly "medicated" to appreciate that one.

8. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Send just a bit faster than you can copy. Comforts zones don't build, pressure does. Just like weight lifting. You won't get better unless you push your limits.

KE8EAS likes this.