How Often Do You Get On The Air?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF4LY, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

So, how often do you get on the air?

Me personally, I'm usually on every couple of days. I don't have a permanent antenna installation. Right now, I'm using an MFJ loop tuner, which is kind of a PITA to setup and change bands.

I probably will get on more once I get a permanent installation setup.

So, how about you?

2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm on 10 and 12 meters right now. 10 is opening up.

AF4LY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

These days, only for schedules with family and friends. We tinker with new modes or new propagation modes (since most of them are within a hundred miles or so). I have even managed to convince one or two of them to help me test random ham gadgets OTA that I have cooked up on the bench. ;)

I'll make an exception occasionally to test a new antenna design. I have an 80m magloop on the front porch that deserves to have a few general CQ's run through it. :cool:

AF4LY likes this.
  4. AF4LY

Damn. I wish I wasn't at work right now.

5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10 and 12 FT8 have been fairly active the past week or so. Yesterday not so much but some days active till after 11pm

AF4LY likes this.
  6. AF4LY

Cool. I will check it out this weekend. Thanks.

7. KK5JY

No you don't. ;)

W4WTS and AF4LY like this.
  8. AF4LY

Ah, you're an experimenter. I've learned a lot about loops from reading your website. Keep up the good work.

9. KK5JY

I am aware of only two commercial texts that you should consider. Both are available at ARRL and just about every ham shop.

The Antenna Book has a section on STL theory. It's a little terse, and there isn't a lot of practical detail (i.e., not a lot of text on actually building one). But the formula are mostly reliable. :)

The League also sells a book from a couple of guys in Europe -- it's fairly short, but it's a good read if you want to see/hear about designs above and beyond those covered by the Antenna Book. In particular, they explore multi-turn loop theory and design details.

I also recommend Leigh Turner's whitepaper on the subject. it's more approachable than a textbook, but not as cobbled together as the stuff that the rest of us might write. My article is mostly "here's what I did and here's what happened." Guys like Turner and AA5TB link that stuff a little better to the theory.

Yeah, it's no fun until the mailman asks, "What IS that thing??" :D

upload_2018-5-18_9-31-41.png

N4XRD likes this.
  10. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Daily.

Is your MFJ looper the MFJ-935B? If yes, how does it perform for you?