ad: CrossCountry-1

How much power in your dual bander?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KC3JIN, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, in the ensuing months I have been able to explore other bands and modes, but when I posed the question all I had was 2m/70cm FM, though I had been building antennas for it. Basically I was curious as to what results I could expect.

My record, with luck and favorable geography, remains 56 miles to a repeater via magmount. Barring FM satellites, that's about as far as I anticipate getting.

W7EDC likes this.
  2. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice QRZ page profile picture! I bet you get better reception with that antenna!!
    I had a hat like that for the eclipse, but it was for security... not better reception ;)

IMAG2778_2.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    KC3JIN likes this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

On VHF, it's obviously all down to geography . . .

Back in the 70s, I had a crystal-controlled 2 metre FM Handheld that gave just 1 watt output, and with a telescopic 19 inch whip.

I'd go up on a 700ft hill, and work stations 100 miles away ! (direct, not through a Repeater)

Roger G3YRO

KC3JIN likes this.
  4. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya. I am, shall we say, follicularly sparse. So theres almost always something covering my head.

G3YRO, I must disagree! My record for 2m ssb was 190 miles from a wire dipole swinging on a string from a tree branch - mode counts too!

5. W1CLG

W1CLG Ham Member QRZ Page

In Vermont, elevation matters as much as power. My house is on the northeastern edge of a large valley, and I can use 25 watts to reach 20 miles south, or 50 watts to reach 40 miles southwest (using a mobile antenna), but I cannot reach a repeater 20 miles east, because a mountain blocks the signal.

I would focus less on power, and worry about antenna placement (most mobile antennas are only designed for 50-60 watts anyway).

AI7PM likes this.