How much power in your dual bander?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KC3JIN, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Been having a lot of fun with my HT, most of that by plugging it into better antennas! However, 8 watts has begun to feel a little anemic.

I see lots of dual band mobiles out there amd even some that do 1.25m, which would be fun but not essential, and power levels from 25 to 100 watts.

I dunno, call it an opinion poll, but: how much power do you guys run, daily? And how far do you tend to transmit?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8W is a heck of a lot from a handheld!

Mine get very, very warm at 5W output if transmissions are held longer than 30 seconds at a time.

But anyway, most mobile rigs nowadays are in the 50W output range, which makes them par or nearly par with the repeaters (which also typically run in the 50-100W output range).

3. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

The BF-F8HP ostensibly does 8. Does it really... I dunno! I should find a well-equipped Elmer and ask.. I can tell you I keep my transmissions relatively brief - 15 seconds at a time would be a spirited monologue from me. Also maybe for the obvious reason talking on the magmount or 1/4 wave ground plane seems to heat it up more slowly. Hah.

4. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found leaving mine on 10w gets it done. Rarely go to "High", which is 50w on mine.