How much Mobile traffic

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5KVZ, Feb 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that you are not going to get much use from 6&10 meters, as the sunspot cycle is taking a dive. Get a 2M/440 rig, get used to using it. If you enjoy it, you can always buy an older HF radio & throw it in.
    This saves on initial investment.
    Best bet is to go to a hamfest & buy an older dual bander to just try out. Then, you will know the features that you like/dislike & desire in your future radio. Being as cheap as I am, that's how I would go about it.

Ed

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Douglas: As I travel around the upper Midwest I find little traffic on 2 mtrs or 440. I have a sign on the back of my RV with my call and the freq 146.52 on it and seldom make a contact.

I do have the REPEATER BOOK ap on my phone and find it works well. Not all repeater groups are created the same. Some welcome outsiders with open ears, others with radio silence.

I do still run a CB in the tow vehicle for highway information and it once saved me from driving into an ice storm. CB is much different here in the upper Midwest than in the south with the 500 – 1,000 watt CB’s.

If you ever travel through west central Wisconsin try the 146.610 K9KGB repeater (tone 110.9).

3. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Before the advent of mobile phones, 2m and 70cm operation was quite interesting. Especially having the capability of using phone patch.
    But these days everybody has a cellphone. What really is the difference between using a cellphone and using a VHF rig? You are using repeaters in both cases. I haven't operated on VHF for countless years. If you want only local communications, you might just as well just get a UHF CB. There is little difference in performance.

4. W6ZKH

W6ZKH Ham Member QRZ Page

"I have a sign on the back of my RV with my call and the freq 146.52 on it and seldom make a contact." How true that statement is from AC0GV. I have had a tire cover with my callsign and frequency monitoring and I think I have yet had maybe only one contact, even though I have been passed by several hams with 2m antennas installed or they just honked and waved. I have closely traveled 35k miles in my RV over the years, and had more contacts on CB to truckers when needed info. I use to run HF mobile, but that was a disaster also, so took it out of the tow vehicle. Yet still, I think having at least a 2m rig in the vehicle is somesort of comfort even though throughout the US, cell coverage will suffice for most emergency needs.

Attached Files:

5. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run exclusively HF mobile and there is almost always someone somewhere to talk to - you may have to move around the bands to find out what is currently active and it takes a little while to learn your way around. If you really get the bug you can find yourself spending some money to be able to operate effectively and it takes some maintenance to keep a mobile station working to it's full potential. I no longer operate a fixed station but I have put together some pretty elaborate mobile HF stations and run an arsenal of Hamsticks and bugcatcher antennas. I get a great deal of enjoyment operating mobile. 160 bug c.jpg 160 bug a.jpg

Attached Files:

6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Kevin....You run them "Big & Ugly"....Just like I like them. If it doesn't tap the overpasses....It's too short. 8^)

John WD5IKX

KD5AUU likes this.