How much Mobile traffic

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5KVZ, Feb 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KJ4VRQ

KJ4VRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Yaesu-857 with the ATAS 120A screwdriver antenna on my 2007 Silverado. I drive to class two nights a week and there and back on Saturdays so it's nice to have. If you enjoy the hobby then having a mobile radio is something you would probably want even if you don't necessarily use it every time you get in the car. Sometimes I won't turn it on at all and other times I will talk on 20 and 40 meters all the way to school and back.

2. KG5KVZ

KG5KVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu FT 857D is one I am considering

3. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love using my FT857D in the car. It's quite a thrill working EU half-way around the world while driving in ZL.

4. KG5KVZ

Yeah, that would be interesting. After totaling the cost of an 857 installation I'm not sure I want to spend that much now just getting into it and several other things going on now. I manage to have several expensive hobbies already. I may just go with a Yaesu FT 8900R at least for now. That gets the 10M and 6 M bands was well a 2M and 70 CM. I'm going to get to a store in Houston, TX in the next few days and talk to the folks there. I'm going to go ahead with something, just not sure yet what.

5. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

FM only operating (mainly through repeaters) gets boring fairly quickly. It's like fishing in a nursing pond. HF operation is where the excitement is. HF is like fishing for marlin on the high seas. Just a hint before you hand over your hard earned cash.

WD5IKX likes this.
  6. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Something to think about on the 8900. 6M and 10M FM are typically void of activity most of the time. There are band openings occasionally, but for day to day operation, it will be slim pickins. You will be limited in antenna options as well with a quad band.

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a Biomedical Engineer I traveled a lot. I ran HF everyday. Once in awhile I worked DX but most of the time I spent on the county hunters net. It was a lot of fun running counties for the guys. It was you were on the DX end of a pile up.
    John, WB0MPB

8. KG5KVZ

What bands do you generally work?

9. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I work 40 through 15 meters most of the time. 20 and 17 meters are my favorite bands. I make lots of DX contacts when the bands are good.
    In my book...HF is much more fun than local VHF and UHF.
    Bug Eliminator-6-sm-label.jpg
    John WD5IKX

10. KC5KBN

KC5KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Currently the only HF I have access to is mobile using an IC-718 with a Little Tarheel II and turbo tuner. I've been able to work a fair amount DX just riding around town and running errands, and have actually done a couple of state QSO parties that happened to fall on weekends when we were traveling. It is way more fun than hanging out on repeaters, IMO, and even my kids get into it when there's a good station on that I'm able to work.