How much Mobile traffic

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5KVZ, Feb 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5KVZ

KG5KVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to ask a really basic newbie question but how much mobile radio traffic can I expect? A buddy and I recently got our licenses and hand helds for hunting safety - more distance and reliability than the GMSR's. I'm thinking about putting a mobile in my truck primarily for road and weather conditions when traveling. I've always felt there should be communication between automobiles and when the CB thing first started I thought it was great but soon it got to the point I couldn't stand listening to it. Are there enough people on the road using HAM bands to make a mobile installation worthwhile for my purposes? I live on the Texas coast and travel to Florida, Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Idaho - that sort of thing - that is a lot of fairly rural country.

2. BG4NNI

BG4NNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with!

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not clear what your purposes are, or what bands you would operate, but in my experience there are a lot of ham mobiles running about on HF. I go HF mobile about once a week for six hours or so, and average a hundred contacts for each trip. Of course I am working mostly fixed stations who are county hunting, but there are occasional mobile-to-mobile contacts. My purpose is simply to work anyone I can. I run about 400 watts HF mobile, but many people are running HF mobile quite effectively with 100 watts or less.

So ... why not operate mobile and work anyone you can ? Perhaps consider the various 40m nets that give preference to mobiles, like ECARS on 7.255 Or the various nets for county hunters and associated frequencies ( frequencies utilized by county hunters even when there is not an active net ). There is a lot of mobile county hunting activity on SSB, CW, and digital modes.

4. KG5KVZ

Thanks. This is helpful and points me in the direction of which radios to buy.

5. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC-7000 in my vehicle, running 100W through an AH-4 autotuner and 2.4m whip. This morning I spoke with 2W0 AFA in West Wales, about 1000 miles away, and he complemented me on crystal clear audio. So it is perfectly possible to have a good setup for mobile.

6. KG5KVZ

I'm sure that did make your day. Thanks. I'm going to get a mobile set up, just a matter of deciding what.

Doug

7. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done a fair bit of traveling all over the US and had a 2m/440 radio in the vehicle for most of it. My technique is to program all of the repeater frequencies and standard simplex frequencies in the radio. Then let it scan. In the rural areas, there is often not much happening, but listening to most of the spectrum will let you know what is going on. My mobile radio can monitor frequencies at once, so one side scans and the other sits on 146.52 or a favorite repeater. You can also program public service frequencies (fire/police) and weather in there to listen to as well.

Or go with HF and you have worldwide capability.

8. KG5KVZ

Good info. Thanks. I'm considering either a quad band or possibly even a HF though I maybe a bit green for that much radio. Doing my research.

9. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

"Just do it!" Go mobile. 8^)
    With all the repeaters around there is pretty much always someone to talk to on VHF and UHF.
    HF mobile is my favorite and working DX while mobile is a hoot.

John WD5IKX

10. KG5KVZ

Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning more that way. Didn't initially intend to spend that much but I'm sure considering it now. You only go around once. And I enjoy toys with lots of knobs and dials and learning new things. :)