How Much Loss Does My Antenna Have ?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA7NIQ, Oct 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of these antennas installed at my QTH http://www.ultimax-antennas.com/store/p3/80&40_METERS_DOUBLE_BAZOOKA.html
    I lack the space for a full size 80 meter dipole antenna.
    I was told I would be better off with a G5RV because my current antenna has coaxial traps, and is a pair of 40 and 80 meter double bazooka's with traps
    Double Bazooka antennas have loss, and so do coaxial traps.
    My questions is, how much am I losing if I stay with this antenna, vs a G5RV, or an 80 meter dipole folded back on itself a bit ?

2. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

KA7NIQ likes this.
  4. KA7NIQ

Bob Heil uses double bazooks's, and he admits these antenna's have some loss, but so do antenna tuners.

5. KD6RF

KD6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KA7NIQ

The antenna I own is a strange design. I was unaware when I bought it that it has to be deployed as an inverted V. That makes me 3 db down on NVIS compared to a dipole. Plus, the inverted V deployment also offers less bandwidth than a Dipole. NVIS is about all I work on 40 and 80

7. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

If you decide to go with a G5RV, make it a ZS6BKW instead which is an improved G5RV. In addition to performing well on 40m, 20m, 17m, and 12m, a couple of simple modifications will make it perform well on 80m and 10m.

http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

N5WVR likes this.
  8. KA7NIQ

Thanks Cecil, but all I want from a wire is 80 and 40, actually 75 and 40.
    I have a SteppIR Dipole at 50 feet for 20 up to 6

9. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KA7NIQ

That was a good read !
    It looks like the worst case loss for a double bazooka type dipole is about 3/4 of a DB, and often less.
    So, if you take the 3/4 of a db, plus about 1/2 db of coaxial trap loss, that only about 1.25 db loss in my antenna, worst case.

KD6RF likes this.