How much does it cost these days to install a transceiver into the cars dash?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BUS, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    About how much money does it cost to install (and wire up correctly and properly to the vehicles battery) a standard DIN-sized transceiver into the standard DIN-sized opening in the dash of a modern vehicle these days? Also, where would I go to have such a thing done to my own vehicle?
    Thanks

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You really don't want to use a DIN slot due to heat build up. But to answer your question...

If you really watch your spending, and aren't too interested in maximum performance, you can get by for as little as ≈$600, all brand new.

If you buy the best antenna and mobile transceiver, and add an amplifier, it is easy to spend upward of $5,000, all brand new.

If you need more information, start with my ABCs on my web site.

KE5PPH likes this.
  3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, the transceivers really aren't DIN-sized anyway and you don't want one in the dash for both the aforementioned heat reasons and RFI/EMI between the radio and the vehicle's electrical system.
    Most of the currently available mobile transceivers, whether VHF/UHF only or HF + VHF/UHF have detachable control panels that allow for mounting the main body in a remote location (trunk or under a seat) with the panel in a convenient location in/on the dash or console.
    As for cost to have one professionally installed, that will vary by area and the type of radio and antenna as well as the particular shop doing the work. Assuming for whatever reason you are truly unable to do the work yourself, your first step should be to reach out to local hams in your area either on the air or through a local club, and see if they can recommend a nearby shop or fellow ham who can help you.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of reputable Mobile radio shops will not touch an HF radio for a ham operator.
    We installed some specialized, multiple band mobile radio systems for the feds, including lights and sirens, They could run over $1000 labor.

5. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1981, my IC 25A fit into the DIN slot in my RX 7. It didn’t produce all that much heat, there was plenty of room, and there were no RFI problems. Those were the days.

Today, maybe some cars have room for a small VHF/UHF rig aside the console, maybe. SUVs and trucks may be better, I suppose. But in a typical coupe or sedan, I cannot imagine installing a full-sized rig that does not have a detachable control panel. My most recent mobile rigs were an IC706 and now an IC7000 in a sedan, with control heads mounted safely on the console. No room elsewhere.