How Much Did You Pay For Your Boat Anchor?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N4GKS, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a 9 out of 10 perfectly working, on frequency, Kenwood TS-820 for $160.00. Anyone else?

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you define boatanchor? Depending on a person's age and amateur radio existence, boatanchor dates and equipment can vary all over the place.

I bought a working and well kept Whippany Labs Li'l Lulu receiver for $10.

This is a thread that probably will have lots of redeeming qualities. :)

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it matter if you bought it new, but now it's a boat anchor?

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops. Sorry about the double post. QRZ and Eham have been acting odd this morning.

5. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnson Valiant II, R390A, Hammarlund SP-600, all somewhat working for $100.

Not sure how many planets had to align for that to happen. Doubt it will happen again.

Ed WA4NJY

K0UO, KI4AX and W1BR like this.
  6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

B&W 5100, SX-101A and some test gear and radio repair parts and test gear from a closed radio shop (owner was SK and a ham) for around 300. Sold the Sencore SG-165 after restoring it for around $250. So, that left a cost of 50 bucks for the ham gear and other parts. Got the matching HT-32 from a local ham for 100 bucks. Both Hallicrafters were stripped and fully restored and are on the air. Second B&W 5100 was free, but it took working with friends to get it moved to CT from Michigan!

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had quite a number of radios DONATED to me, since I run the Crest Radio Museum. That is why I am most reluctant to just SELL THEM OFF like everyone is urging me to do. These are valuable radios that very Gracious Hams gave to me so I could refurbish them and display. I did just that and now they are on display for the few visitors I get. All who see it are completely BLOWN AWAY by the collection, as I have nearly ALL the Ham Radios ever made!

But I did purchase quite a few of them. The most expensive was the Hallicrafters SR-2000 I got from a very nice Ham in Kentucky on the way back from Dayton one year. Little did the NUN KNOW that I paid him $1000 for it. I would spend the good part of the next year working on it. IT KINDA works, but I only get about 200W out of it. Who knows what is wrong with it. But it sure is a Beauty!!
    Someone will be TICKLED to get it from the Nun for $20!

DO YOU WANT THIS RADIO??

Here is how to get it:

Hire your friendly HIT MAN LUIGI to come over and WHACK ME!!!

Once I am out of the way, you can bargain with the Nun to get it even cheaper!
    Tell Luigi to make it fast and Painless and I will throw in a GOOD PERFECTLY WORKING Hallicrafters SR-400!!

8. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Luigi is only doing knee caps this month. Will see what the special is for July.

Ed

WA6MHZ likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BOGO, Buy One, Get One Free on Elmac AF-67 Trans-citers. I didn't want the second radio....but at least is saved the seller the need of obtaining packing peanuts or bubblewrap to fill the box. sigh.

Note: I intentionally said "Elmac" not "Multi-Elmac".

p.s. You gotta love a transmitter with a chain drive band shift lever!

[​IMG]

K0UO likes this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Anywhere from $0 to a few hundred.

A local heard that I was wanting a transmitter for 160-meters. When I got home that evening, a Hallicrafters HT-20 was sitting by my front door. I paid about $35.00 shipping on a Globe Champion 350A, otherwise free. The most that I have ever paid, in right at 60-years of being licensed, is $600.00 for a Collins 75S-3, 32S-3, and 516F-2.

My 1st Collins 75S-1 and 32S-1 cost me $35.00 each! There was a Motorola employee at the Dallas area office, who got his Novice Class license, who had been in contact with a Motorola salesman living in the Oklahoma City area who had a 32S-1, 75S-1, and PM-2 power supply, that wasn't working, and wanted $150.00 for everything. The equipment got sent down to Dallas. The Dallas employee brought the equipment out to my office wanting to know what it would take to get things working. I told him, not much. But, he had already decided not to get the equipment and told me that, if I wanted the equipment, to send the salesman $150.00, so I sent the money.

The only problem was a broken capacitor lead in the transmitter. The PM-2 was rough and not really the correct power supply for the 32S-1 but I already had a spare correct 516F-2 power supply. A local, who went on several DX'peditions every year using Collins equipment, gave me $80.00 for the PM-2 making the 75S-1 and 32S-3 cost $35.00 each.

On a "whim", I paid $35.00 for a Clegg 22'er 2-meter AM unit (on eBay). Another operator wanted the 22'er to modify for CW and traded me a National NC-270 receiver that had a problem. The problem was a burned 40-meter antenna coil due to having a transmitter connected without an antenna change over relay. I wound a new coil and then another amateur wanted the NC-270 and had a Collins 51J-2 for trade. So, I acquired a 51J-2 for $35.00.

My Kenwood TS-830S came to me for a repair estimate. However, the client did not want to spend that much money and did not want to pay to have the unit shipped back. So, he told me just to keep the unit. Eventually, I got the TS-830S repaired and added it to my main console.

I acquired a UHF remotely mounted receiving converter in a trade deal. A particular operator, who posts on a regular basis here on QRZ.com, wanted the converter and had a Kenwood TS-440SAT to trade. We both were happy with the trade. Basically, no cash outlay for the TS-440SAT.

A goodly portion of my "boat anchors" have been acquired in trade deals, for payment for working on equipment for others, and have just been given to me.

Here are just a portion of my "boat anchors":

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/11...at_K9STH-9_January_2015.pdf?ver=1561579883904

Glen, K9STH