How many Technician licensees use their HF CW privileges?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4KYV, Mar 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the casual ragchew QSO's are under 15wpm.

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Lane for the comment. If you check your log book you will notice we have had a couple of QSO's Lane. It's been quite a time since I have had a QSO at 15ish simply because I have avoided them.... within the quest of perfecting my head copy at my 20 wpm goal I call CQ at 21ish. If I get a slower response I will acknowledge it.

Much of the QSO speed is very dependent upon where you are located at. If you in the general area where most guys are known to send slower, say 7112-7120 yes with a few exceptions you are correct, also noting mostly mechanical keys in the area. I use a straight key, and bug but am currently using a N3ZN SN paddle with my keyer set at 21. Most of the rag chew I get in the 3535/7030/10.125/14.037 area is considerably above 15, mostly 20/21. So Lane we can agree sir, mostly. Thanks for dropping me the note, 73 Rich

3. MW7MRK

MW7MRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recently got my foundation license here in UK. As we have a limit of 10w, I have decided to learn and use Morse as it's likely to make best use of what I have. So, I'm about to embark on this journey, but am not yet sure which is the most suitable way for me to learn. I gather that there are quite a few different methods, so I guess it's a suck it and see scenario until I find something that suits me. First thing though is to get myself a key and osscilator, so any suggestions greatly received.

4. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tech here. 95% CW. I'm on 40 meters regularly. One of the reason I haven't upgraded yet is that I am having ball with what I have. Very simple 33ft end fed wire and a Yaesu FT450D at 100 watts. I've made contacts all over the United States (including Alaska, California, The Dakotas, etc), and Cuba, and Canada. I'm glad I put the time into learning it. CW has given me hours and hours of enjoyment.

W9RAC, N8AFT, K6MAA and 1 other person like this.
  5. N8AFT

You should consider writing an article for QST about your experience learning Morse and how the entry level Tech
    license allows for a great deal of enjoyment when one uses CW.
    I have not seen an article relating to Techs using CW. I think ARRL/QST could do more to encourage learning code.
    Give them a wake up call OM Jeff...
    Glad to have had the opportunities to QSO with you early on in your CW journey. You picked it up quickly and have a solid
    fist to show for your efforts...

6. KN4ICU

How would I go about asking them?

7. N8AFT

I'm certain someone reading this will have some knowledge to share.
    An issue of QST will have contact info as well for submitting an article.
    I have none here at this time to look into it for you.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4ICU and N8AFT like this.
  9. KN4ICU

One thing to add: WHY I like CW???? It is so much more involved, and visceral. You are utilizing different senses at once (ie. touch and listening). When you get good, and you hear the rhythm of the "dits" and "dahs" between two hams, it is mesmerizing ( to me at least). And the fact with a bare bone set up, you can do so much. The time investment is minimal. If you can faithfully do 2, 15 min practice sessions a day (transmitting and copying), you can be up and running on the air in a few months (it took me 3). The payback from the investment of time will be returned x1000. It took me discipline to learn, but I'm very glad I did. I would encourage any Tech to learn CW. It will open up a whole new world, and (I believe) will help someone to use their Tech privileges to the fullest.

N7BKV, W9RAC, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

^ Bravo! ^