How many Technician licensees use their HF CW privileges?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4KYV, Mar 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

In the latter part of 1992 I passed my 5 wpm became a Tech Plus. I found some locals through the local ham radio club who also passed their 5 wpm and wanted to increase their code speed to pass the General Class license. So we decided to meet on 10 meters at night after the band died and practice CW. We picked 10 meters because all I had was an 10 meter mobile rig at the time and so did most of the others. It worked out good, eventually we got our code speed up to 13 wpm and then passed General. I went on to pass Advanced and Extra in the latter part of 1993. I never worked much CW as a tech except for the local code practice on 10 meters. Perhaps if I started out as a Novice I would have stayed with CW exclusively until I reached Extra, particularly if I only had a CW only rig like one of the Heathkit models.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL SAID OM!

K8AI likes this.
  3. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my Tech ticket last November and have recently started teaching myself and putting CW into action. CW.jpg

K8AI, KN4ICU, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

WELCOME ABOARD OM JASON!
    Learning and honing your mastery of Morse is an ongoing process...
    VY 73 from Lane n8aft sk ..

KG7A and KE0TNL like this.
  5. KG7A

KG7A Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on that...!!! :)

KE0TNL likes this.
  6. KG7A

KG7A Ham Member QRZ Page

The trouble often began by imagining code would be hard to learn, or by learning it in an inefficient, or roundabout way, such as visually, rather than by sound or by "sound alike". This is a quote out of the book: The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy, by William G. Pierpont, N0HFF. I believe everyone in who is getting in Morse Telegraphy, should read this book. I know this has helped me learn in a way to an advancement on understanding a different method of learning.

KE0TNL likes this.
  7. KG7A

KG7A Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KG7A

KG7A Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG...!!! Your curiosity has got you going, hi hi. But now that I think about it, Hmm!!! You've got my curiosity going too...!!! I'd better dig deep in the log...

9. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a 857ND last year with the intentions of getting my General at some point. Downloaded FlDigi and tuned it up on 40m CW. My first QSO was a guy in France.

I was hooked. A month later I got General. HF is like crack. Picked up a 817ND. DX with 5 watts is a trip.

Been working on my CW for a few weeks now. I can hold my own sending with the built in keyer on the mic at 15wpm. Just have to work on tuning my ears for receiving now. It's getting easier by the day.

To all the techs out there, take the jump and get your General. It's a whole different world, and CW makes it that much bigger.

KE0TNL likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm on CW a hour or two a day. Im mostly a rag chew type guy, no contesting or the like, that's just me, Im not much on quick exchange but if that's it then OK. I have this winter been working on my "head copy" at 20 wpm. I am tired of having to write everything down. I am very close now, after being dedicated all winter. I'm sure summer I'll slack some which was in the plan. By next winter's end, maybe before I'll be at a decent 22 or so head copy. That's where Ill max out I'm sure. My biggest challenge at those speeds, that is 20 ish, is my pathetic spelling abilities. If Im "on script" ie RST/Name/QTH/Rig its a breeze but rag chewing is very different. 73 Rich