ad: wmr-1

How many Technician licensees use their HF CW privileges?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4KYV, Mar 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to start a flame war, but this is the thinking behind the proposal to give Techs more HF phone privileges -- give them a real (not useless 10 meters) taste of HF phone and many of them will upgrade to get more. ;)

KC3RN, N8AFT and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make that: "HF phone and data modes on bands other than 10 meters".

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I spose if all one wants outta his HF ticket is QSO's with the popular CW Straight Key bunch then they won't upgrade.
    Most however will, so where's the Techs? Upgraded!
    I once was of the opinion once that the Techs really wouldn't EARN a place on HF including fone SSB and AM. However, this old man / retiree hobby must change to be relavant and appeal to the younger crowd before we stagnate even farther.
    Amatuer radio must show some value to the population at large before we cease to be popular.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    K6MAA likes this.
  4. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I did.

N8AFT likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If they ever get on HF, they're not techs long after they get on HF CW.
    If they try it and like it!

See this video below if you haven't already looked at it that Three Stooges doing code

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started as a Novice in '74 and later became a Tech and was only active in HF CW. Never owned a VHF/VHF rig until I was a General. Back in those days many of my contacts were with other Novice/Techs on HF. I believe the end of the Novice era killed new ham activity on HF.

K8AI likes this.
  7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone stopped focusing on the Technicians long enough to ask how many non-Technicians use their HF CW privileges?

I can't recall any of my Amateur radio acquaintances that operate CW with any regularity since W0IYH died.

I got my Technician license after 5 WPM became the only Morse code test available. This was while studying engineering at Iowa State University. No one in the club seemed to care much for CW, they simply learned enough Morse code to pass the test, and they encouraged me to do the same. By this time the writing was on the wall that Morse code testing was going away soon. Even the club advisor, a professor and licensed Amateur (and who's name escapes me right now), didn't seem to know Morse code.

If the question is why "the kids these days" don't operate CW more often is likely best answered by saying that the previous generation failed to instill much love for it in others. Why didn't they pass on this love for Morse code? Maybe they didn't have love for it instilled in them either.

So, again, how many non-Technicians use their HF CW privileges any more? I don't know many. Maybe I hang around the "wrong" kind of people.

N8TGQ likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps worthy of a survey post?

9. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

How many of all licensees are doing phone on VHF/UHF? Its pretty quiet around my area. Give the Techs data and rtty on HF if you want more people on HF. People dont want to talk to each other anymore. My daughter won't even answer her phone if its voice. I remember Wayne Green saying that eventually a ham radio QSO would consist of each station exchanging a 10 digit number. We're almost there!

10. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I did when I was a tech. I am still not very good at cw but I get out there. Some of the longest qso's I have are from my 10 meter psk days.
    It's not easy as a tech on cw, when I 1st started out had a few ot's really get on my case.
    Some techs do use the privileges some don't even know about them. Every time I talk to "just a tech" I tell them to stop thinking like that and use what you have to learn.