ad: QSKLLC-1

How many Technician licensees use their HF CW privileges?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4KYV, Mar 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Note: This is NOT intended to be a debate over the merits of ARRL Petition RM-11828. Let's stay on the topic of these simple questions.

I work CW occasionally, but rarely if ever have looked up the callsigns of stations worked to check out their licence class. Some who work CW regularly or primarily, might be more knowledgeable of this: to what degree do Technicians actually use their CW privileges on 80m, 40m and 15m?

Based on your own observations, what percentage of stations operating CW in the General/Novice/Technician segments on 80/40/15 would you estimate are Technicians, compared to Generals and higher?

If you are a Technician licensee, do you ever operate CW and if so, roughly what proportion of your operation is CW?

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on my observation, precisely zero. But someone, please contradict me on this point!

I encourage Technicians to try CW every chance I get. Most smile and ignore me, but a couple have taken it up. But so far, they've all upgraded their licenses before getting on the air with CW.

The license upgrade seems to be so much less effort than learning the code.

I'm still eager to have my first CW QSO with a Technician.

K8AI likes this.
  3. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have at least one US-licenced friend who started on HF using the Tech CW privileges. He soon progressed to General and then Extra.

KG7A, N7KO, N2SUB and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what we all used to do. :)

5. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know maybe a dozen Tech licensees and none of them have any interest at all in CW, nor in HF in general. The very few who were interested immediately upgraded to General.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I have worked about 5 or more in 7 yrs.
    The most interesting Tech was located in the back woods of W VA
    He explained he had to learn code so as to have any QSO's as there are no repeaters in his locale.
    I encourage any Techs I come across to learn Morse and start to have some real fun sans mic es FM.

7. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

This was just three or four years ago.

K8AI and N2SUB like this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that's even cooler! :)

K8AI likes this.
  9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one CW HF exchange with a Tech that I know of and since I am new to the hobby the actual answer is probably one as well.

It was a sked about a month ago. Afterwards, he decided CW HF was fun and has since gotten his General.

N2EY likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That last bit tells the story!

N1EN and W5WTH like this.