How many of you will give up your license over $50 FCC renewal fee?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Sep 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My license will be up for renewal in 2023. With a ten year span, I'll be on the threshold of my eighth decade. It would be a miracle if I got an additional ten year span after that...

In the meantime, fifty bux is chicken feed...

N2EY likes this.
  2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it is ridiculous for a 50 dollar fee every 5 years or 10 years, and I do understand that people do have hardships and financial crises. That being said, 50 dollars every 5 years is 5000 cents. Put away 2 dimes into a jar every Monday and that will cover your 50 bucks 5 years from now. If it is still every ten years, put a dime away every week.

3. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

What high school kid is going to pay $150 for an Extra? Age discrimination pure and simple, in a community that will literally die in 30 years from old age. Where are all the "inclusion" hypocrites? Just shut up, pay the fee and do as you're told.

N6ATF likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The same one who has an $800 iPhone and/or $200 sneakers.

K1LKP, W7UUU, N9YB and 4 others like this.
  5. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

No Problem here..

I see people drop $100 on cigarettes at the local Gas Station every two days..
    It's what is important to each of as to what we decide to spend our money on... or not...

W7UUU, N2EY and N9YB like this.
  6. N9YB

N9YB QRZ Administrator QRZ Page

As a parent, I would have no issue paying for my kids to enjoy and learn from all that is Amateur Radio. A $150 investment in my child is a no brainer.

WN1MB and N2EY like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost did.

In 1968, in the summer between 8th and 9th grades, I upgraded from Novice to Technician, and then to Advanced. Each trip to the FCC cost $4 in fees.

$4 in 1968 inflates to $29.81 in 2019.

In 1970, in the summer between 10th and 11th grades, once the 2 year wait was over, I upgraded to Extra. That cost $9 in fees...equivalent to $60.09 today.

So....total cost in 2019 dollars:

$29.81 + $29.81 + $60.09 = $129.35

I had it soft in terms of other costs. Getting to FCC meant a subway ride (25 cents) and about a mile walk each way....no problem at all. Wasn't even hilly. Form 610 cost a stamp and an envelope. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

In those days license terms were only 5 years, though.

In those days there was a 2 year experience requirement before you could even try the Extra, and time as a Novice or Technician didn't count. Which meant at least 2 visits to the FCC to reach Extra. Today, someone can go from no license to Extra in 1, 2, or 3 steps, as they choose.

N9YB, WA5VGO and KU4X like this.
  8. WB2BGI

WB2BGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 67 and good until late 2026. I will see if I live that long, in other words, I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I have six 1/2 years of license left, approximately. Like you, I'll get there when I get there.

10. W5LJM

W5LJM Ham Member QRZ Page

You're going to pay for your kids. Wow! What a concept in teaching them to be independent.

N6ATF and WN1MB like this.