ad: Amateur-1

How many of you will give up your license over $50 FCC renewal fee?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Sep 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a simple question... if the FCC implements the proposed $50 fee for renewing amateur licenses, how many of you will decline to renew your license because of the fee?

Hopefully it will be a short list, but after the rather energetic conversations on the subject, I'm curious. :)

N6ATF likes this.
  2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

The same idiots who would stop driving if license fees went up. I mean we are entitled right?

NK8I, N3FAA, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's a weekly fee I'd certainly would give it up.
    Yearly it would depend on my financial state.
    Every 5 years or more it's a bargain. I spent more today on driving to Sardis, checking my hunting rifle's zero, and enjoying some tasty Mississippi BBQ.

N1VAU likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll pay the $50 fee for renewal. Not a big deal to me.

KG7QJB and KC1DR like this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, since I don’t send $49 a year to the ARRL anymore...

NK2U, K9ASE, KF5FEI and 7 others like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully, this stays on topic as the #might be interesting. Thus far, 0.

KU5Q likes this.
  7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike Baxter here for Outdoor Ham,

As the token non American here, I really do sometimes sit back and scratch my head in wonder. Is really a thing that needs to be debated ad nauseam? Rather that talk about the things we are doing in this rather wonderful hobby, sharing knowledge and skills, collaborating and developing new ideas, trying new things and encouraging others to expand their horizons. We are debating who can afford a license or who is going to be a moron and throw a hissy fit because they have to pay. When this becomes the level of discussion, those wanting to dumb down ham radio have truly won. Can we be anymore debased than this? Or have we hit actually the bottom?

Baxter Out!

KF2M, K2NCC, K4AGO and 15 others like this.
  8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd poll given that we're on a forum where most stations are active. I think you'll find that the ones who are inactive aren't really posting here or anywhere else. Their licenes will expire and they will move on.

AE1P, K8BZ, N4QX and 2 others like this.
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Here 's the thing: not everyone can afford it at this moment, ok? You and I are probably well off. We have jobs or we have enough retirement income that it doesn't bother us. But we're not 100% of the service. I already posted one comment from facebook where the amateur said that 1) he's on a fixed income, 2) he's caring for a sick spouse, and 3) he doesn't have a lot of spare income to devote to the hobby. Here is the repost:

"Im a fixed income ham who has a sick wife and limited SS benefits. I love ham radio, but fees like this will push me over into not renewing."

WQ4G, WA9SVD and N6HCM like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought asking for a show of hands was relatively safe.

Perhaps I was mistaken. :)

K1VSK and W4IOA like this.