ad: hrd-2

How many of you operate cw with high wattage???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I estimate I work more than twice as many QRP stations than ones over 100 W. on HF CW.
    I accept the challenge when a weak station calls me and I trun on the filters and work the IF shift to get him up out of the noise and copy solid.!
    Too easy copy from a strong station is not as much fun. Digging in the noise is a good workout for the brain.

2. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to call CQ outside of contests at sub 100W levels. I find the responding station is more likely to be easy copy. If they can hear me at 50, 25, or even 5W, I will be able to copy them without difficulty. The exception to this is when calling CQ DX, I'll run power and let it rip (QRO for me is the SB-200, nothing impressive).

Contesting is personal preference. If I'm going for max points for the Club, I'll run QRO, if I'm looking for personal glory I'll run QRP on CW.

DXing depends on how far and busy the DX is. I'm getting to the point where I'm close to obtaining DXCC and getting impatient to reach that landmark, so I've been running power a bit more often recently.

3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I continue to be happy with my 100 watts. I could buy an amp if I wanted but I can work nearly any station I can hear (as long as he works QSY). More often than not, it is the HUGE signal guy sending his call multiple times on top of the DX's transmission frequency :rolleyes:

Just last night I snagged 9H1 - Malta (new for me) on his first CQ a few KCs above the VP2 - pitcairn pileup on 40m :)

I got my DXCC (still need to apply) using only 100 watts and I have a lot of endorsements to obtain before I need to 1000watts to barrel through a pileup.

Using only 100 watts has never been a personal glory thing for me but it's beginning to be . . .

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday, I worked TX5T on two bands, Pitcairn and Guam, running 5 watts using a horizontal loop at ~35'.

Look at http://www.qrpdx.com to see what can be done.

WF4W likes this.
  5. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an AL-80B paired with my FTdx3000. Bought it primarily because I got tired of needing relayed in on the 7290 Traffic Net under present terrible conditions. Also thought it might come in handy when I tried to check in to Area wide CW nets.
    It made a real difference checking in on 7290 with relay only necessary when one of those really high power guys walk on me, or the band is gone completely.
    As for the area wide CW nets, I've not had a problem being heard even when passing traffic. I would definitely recommend getting the QSK bundle with this amp for CW. Wish I had.
    I'm sure there are losses associated with the extra coax and relays inserted between the Yaesu and the antenna with the amp inline, but using the rig primarily on 40 meters, I seem to hear just fine. If the AL-80B makes me an alligator when I do actually use it, then now's the time to tell me. I would appreciate it.
    It's really hard to justify an amp for sitting on 80 meters rag chewing guys 60 miles away, but that is just a waste of breathe saying so. It's been that way as long as I can remember. IMHO, moderation is best in all things. Well, most things. 73, Jim.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For decades marine radiotelegraph coastal stations ran 10 to 40 KW CW rigs. The reason for this was to be reliably readable at distant ships and hold a frequency, and in addition they had great antennas and were transmitting across salt water. I don't understand why some hams feel like they have to run this pipsqueak flashlight bulb power. I'll try to run the power needed to be reliably and easily heard. If that's 500 watts so be it. I am finding my 807 isn't always enough and am looking to my 4D32 or maybe even my 350 watt 813 rig.

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i think some of it comes with the ever-increasing limitations of life in HOA restricted neighborhoods. yes, we choose to live there but can often get away with a measly multiband dipole strung up in an attic or thrown in some trees. Those work just fine with 100watts but become more "visible" when pushing 1kw or more - RF in the shack, house, neighbor's house, etc. I already kill my kid's computer monitor when I've got 100w on 15m. . . .