ad: w5yi

How many of you operate cw with high wattage???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When 5w isn't enough I sometimes have to use my QRO rig -- TenTec C21 and push out 35w.

My friend AA4XX does pretty well in 160m contests and he only has a qrp rig. He regularly logs top band contacts to Hawaii

It's a hobby so do whatever floats your boat.

K8AI, AD5KO and K3XR like this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's one thing to make a 5 second piss weak transmission to send "599 IL" or grid square etc. and an entirely different thing trying to have an hour long QSO making the guy at the other end miserable so the QRP op can continue the myth and obsession with ridiculous low power when 25 watts would be a significant improvement on the other end.

K4KYV and K3XR like this.
  3. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm probably just feeding the troll but why are all of your responses angry?

I regularly have long rag chews with other qrp operators and neither of us are suffering. Maybe you need a better antenna.

W4KJG likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to all the time, but not too much recently. My favorite CW rig was a single 3-500 class C transmitter that was described in a 1968 handbook I believe. First serious homebrew transmitter on my part....had it for about 15 years until I sold it to a new ham.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually it was from December 1971 QST....the year before I was licensed. "A CW man's kilowatt".

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I turn on the amp if I need it. For the most part, it only is needed if trying to work some DX with a pileup. If I try for 15min, turn on the amp and work the DX in 2-3 tries after that (using all the other tricks of figuring out where he's working split, etc.), then I needed the amp IMHO. Obviously 100W calling where he is listening is way more effective than 1500W where he isn't. :rolleyes:

Steve
    KV6O

8. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some confusion here. The rig in the article linked uses two 6146s in parallel, not a 3-500z. I'm not good enough to be able to tell from a cursory examination of the schematic how the final is biased, but to get a kilowatt out of two 6146s I would think they are operated in Class C.

Yes, the rig in the article is fairly sophisticated. It uses heterodyne mixing instead of frequency multiplication for stability, and has a built-in TR switch. Nice rig.

10. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Your not the only guy,have any of you considered,that all out power degrades the spectrum for the other users? causing the Kid's with the crystal set to turn up the wick on the Armstrong and get a little wide on the side,from my experience the OP'S in the know keep the power turned low,and as a general rule the best op's are really only listening for the weak ones any way